10 pounds of Summer Sausage Ala NEPAS

Started by Sailor, February 11, 2012, 07:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Mixed up 10 pounds of 80/20 GB Summer Sausage.  Was going to use 8 pounds GB and 2 pound pork but was to lazy to grind up the pork.  The mix is a receipt of the Sausage Master NEPAS.  No photos of the mix or stuffing.  It made 5 chubs so I hung two midway to the back and 3 toward the front.  Wanted to keep plenty of space for the fan to kick up air.  Drying for 1 hr then will hit them with 2 hrs of smoke.  Using Hickory and Whiskey Oak.

Got the cabinet PID probe hanging between the rows and about 1 inch below my bell bar.  Got the meat probe hang about 1/2 inch off the bottom of the V-Tray towards the front door.  Cabinet temp is reading 130 and the meat probe is at 129.  Pretty even temps.  Will be ramping the temp to 140 for 2 hrs then 150 for 2 hrs then 160 for 2 hrs then to 170 for 2 more and then hold at 175 until the IT is 151-152.  Not going to hot bath this load.

Two chubs hanging in the back

Got three more on the front row

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Smoke some

looks good Sailor

I'm going to give the SS a try very soon, did you use any liquid smoke on these.

mikecorn.1

Looking good Sailor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

wyrman

Sailor

Quote from: Smoke some on February 11, 2012, 07:48:33 AM
looks good Sailor

I'm going to give the SS a try very soon, did you use any liquid smoke on these.
I used one tsp of hickory liquid smoke in the mix

Smoke some

Quote from: Sailor on February 11, 2012, 08:22:57 AM
Quote from: Smoke some on February 11, 2012, 07:48:33 AM
looks good Sailor

I used one tsp of hickory liquid smoke in the mix

Sounds good I'm in the process of doing 10 pounds now, we will have to compare secret recipes :)
the one I'm using is from Nepas also  ;)

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Sailor

Only been 2.6 hrs since I put them in.  Bottom temp is 140 and top temp running 141.  Don't know what the IT is as I don't have a probe in yet.  Still not finished with the smoke.  ;D

Sailor

The 2 hrs of smoke just ended.  Cabinet temp probe is close to the front of the cabinet and the Maverick probe is at the top 2 inch down.  Both are reading 150 degrees.  The meat probe has been inserted into the middle chub at the top and it is reading 110 degrees.  Fan is working flawlessly.  Still have lots of time to go to get IT to 151-152

viper125

Great looking Sausage! Sailor Bet that will be really good! Thanks for sharing.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

wyrman

They're getting some real nice color to them.

Sailor

They is done!  Bout 9 1/2 hours from the time they went in to dry to an IT of 151. This is the quickest that I have ever got 10 pounds done! They went into a cold water bath and got dryed off and now they will get 2 hrs of bloom on the counter.  Then they will spend a few days in the fridge.  Perhaps Monday morning I will cut into one to sample  ;D 

mikecorn.1

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Smoke some

They look great......I hope mine turn out half as good as these look :)

SouthernSmoked

WOW !!! Jim they came out real nice, great job on the SS.

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little