Preference Poll Please

Started by whitetailfan, May 28, 2004, 04:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

Quote from Kummok regarding his salmon recipe
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">WHICH WOOD?WHICH WOOD?WHICH WOOD?WHICH WOOD?WHICH WOOD?WHICH WOOD?

I forgot to mention that I've only used alder, cherry, and apple pucks with this recipe so far............<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I want to try Kummok's salmon this weekend and need some chips.  Currently I have only used hickory because that's all we ever used growing up, but that was on sausage only, so I have used it on my pork butts, jerky, cheese, sausage, even salmon...everything to date.

So here's my question:  I want to branch into another wood for experimentation on the salmon but other things as well.  I will not be doing a lot of salmon as it is quite expensive for flatlanders, so I want to buy something versatile.  <font color="blue">Of the alder, cherry, apple woods, what is your opinion of the best wood to be used on other projects, and what would those projects be?</font id="blue">

Thanks for your feedback[8D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Bassman

Whitetail,
Pecan is good on catfish,I've used hickory & Mesquite on a Rib roast[:p]. I really like Mesquite on any beef,but then again I like alot of smoke flavor[:D]. I've used Maple or hickory on pork. Wasn't really that impressed with apple or cherry. Maybe I just haven't used it enough,IMO it's like pecan, a soft subtle flavor. A new project for me in the near future will be chicken thighs as per the thread under meat.Will probably use hickory.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

BrentK

WTF

I tried Kummoks recipe this last weekend.  I used apple on it.  I use apple on the pheasants and goose as well.  I think hickory is a bit strong for fish and fowl.  I'll be smoking up another batch of salmon later this week....but I'm not going to smoke it quite as long and I'm going to cut the pieces just a bit larger than Kummok calls for.[8D]

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

johnintx1

Pecan & apple mix is hard to beat, great on most anything

Smoke on!!

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

i always use alder for salmon,

3rensho

When we used to smoke salmon while on vacation in Canada we always used alder.  I highly recommend it.

Smokin' in Switzerland
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

For Kummock's salmon recipe I use Alder, if I'm out of that I use Apple or Pecan in that order.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

St. Helens Smoker

Personally, for salmon and trout, I like a blend of apple and cherry.

oguard

WTF I really like the maple[:p].I think it will go nice with salmon[:p] when fishing season arrives it will be my first experiment with another wood besides alder.

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="4"><font color="blue">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="blue"></font id="size4"></font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="3"><font color="blue">Mike</font id="blue"></font id="size3"></font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

jaeger

Whitetail,
I agree with you regarding hickory for sausage and jerky. I have tried alder with cheese and really like this also. I would go with alder as I think you will be happy with other uses also. I would strongly suggest a variety pack at some point so you can experiment for yourself.
But... most important of all....make sure you use Bubba Pucks because...Kummock needs...<font face="Georgia"><b><font size="4"><font color="blue">A BIGGER BOAT!!!</font id="blue"></font id="size4"></b></font id="Georgia">

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

psdubl07

WTF, I have made many batches of Kummok's salmon, and my preferred wood mix is 2/3 Alder and 1/3 Hickory.  I've actually done all Hickory and thought it tasted great.  IMO, I wouldn't worry too much about which wood to use.  When I first started smoking, I thought it was really important, but I'm realizing now that if the recipe is good, the final product should be good regardless of puck type. (Unless you use Mesquite on lox [:0])