Soaking venison jerky prior to seasoning

Started by Docbar, February 03, 2012, 05:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Docbar

I just seasoned up a couple batches of venison jerky, but am concerned about the amount of nitrates that I may have in the meat.  First I sliced and soaked  (for 20-30 min) the strips in water with 3-4 T. Of tender quick per 4 lbs of meat to draw th blood and game taste out.  I rinsed the meat 3x, then I seasoned with a High Mountain mix (using  the seasoning and the included cure).  I have not used tenderquick much, and did not realize it had nitrates. So I am wondering if I will have too many nitrates in the jerky? I really don't want to make kids and the rest of the family sick.
Thanks for any advice.

Ketch22

Hi
When ever I do Venison jerky I clean the meat real good and drain off all water and blood then I just mix in the seasoning and let it set in the Frig.over night. The next day smoke it and when it is done it doesn't last long

Docbar

Thanks Ketch. I have made about 40 lbs of jerky this season this way, just not with the tender quick.  That was my mistake.  I will try your way next time, but I do have the jerky sitting in the fridge yet and would like to know if there could have been too much additional nitrates absorbed from the 20-30min soak with the tenderquick.  I'll through out if I have to and start another batch.

Ketch22

Sorry I wouldn't know I don't use tenderguick on my jerky. just the mix . some one on the site will let you know they are really good on here.

Habanero Smoker

Did you only make the 4 pounds?

How much water did you mix with the Tender Quick, and what kind of Tender Quick did you use? Was it Tender Quick, Sugar Cure, or Smoke Flavor Sugar Cure?

How much of the High Mt. cure did you use?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Docbar

I used regular tender quick and one tspn less cure than was called for.

I made 3 - 4lb batches and 1 - 2lb batch.

I had different sized containers: 

one 4lb I put 2quarts water with it
two 4lb I put about 4 quarts water with them
the 2lb batch I put about 3 quarts water with it

live and learn

thanks for any advice

Docbar

The HM cure called for 2T & 2t for 4lbs. I put in 2T & 1t.
And 1t. Less on the 2lb recommendation of 1T. & 1t.

Habanero Smoker

You should be fine, and the amount of nitrites and nitrates are well within safe limits. Just in the future, you shouldn't follow that procedure.

The amount of water, and TQ was the most important information you provided. To make a wet brine for curing with TQ you should add 1 cup per quart of water, and you were adding a 1/8 the recommend amount or less. So because of the small amount of TQ you were using in the wet brine mix, it added very little extra nitrite/nitrates to the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Docbar

Thanks for checking for me.
I definitely will not ne using TQ again unless it is part of a recipie.
This forum and the members are great!
I have learn so much from reading others posts.
My next project is more tangy summer sausage for my brother.
And teriyaki nuggets for the kids.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

nasels

Quote from: Docbar on February 03, 2012, 05:18:01 AM
I just seasoned up a couple batches of venison jerky, but am concerned about the amount of nitrates that I may have in the meat.  First I sliced and soaked  (for 20-30 min) the strips in water with 3-4 T. Of tender quick per 4 lbs of meat to draw th blood and game taste out.  I rinsed the meat 3x, then I seasoned with a High Mountain mix (using  the seasoning and the included cure).  I have not used tenderquick much, and did not realize it had nitrates. So I am wondering if I will have too many nitrates in the jerky? I really don't want to make kids and the rest of the family sick.
Thanks for any advice.

After using the season packs or marinade do you feel your jerky really has a gamey taste. If so you may need to look at the way the game was processed or handled from start to finish. Unless a huge big buck old buck or deer run with dogs it should not be the case. Especially after a jerky marinade or mix (wish we had a 2 cents icon).

Or do you have folks in the family that just can't stand the thought of it being venison and it always has a gamey taste to them? I know I have them in this house ;)