Moose roast success!!!

Started by stevo133080, January 17, 2012, 11:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo133080

Last week,  I had decided I wanted to try smoking a moose roast.  Set it out to de-frost on Wed,  and by Friday night it was ready to season.   I seasoned it with some Spade L beef seasoning,  Famous daves rib roast and garlic powder.  Locked it in tupperwear until Sunday.

Threw in some boneless ribs with it  just incase the roast didnt turn out

Anyways,  turned the bradley on high,  and with the cold temps outside,  i dont think it ever got above 190 degrees.  3 hours later,  I pulled both from the smoker.  My plan was to take the moose roast,  and inject it with au jus and put it in a tin pan with the au jus and let it steam for a bit longer.  I checked the IT,  and it was at exactly 140 degrees. Not knowing what I was doing,  I decided to slice it open to see what it looked like.

PERFECT!!!!  Since it was nowhere near time to eat and the ribs still had a ways to go in the oven,  I decided to put the roast back in my bradley in a tin pan covered with tin foil,with the au jus in it as well.  I let it go for another 3 hours with the smoke off,  and not letting the temp in the smoker get above 150 degrees.  I can honestly say this was the best meat ive ever eaten.  Tasted exactly like prime rib,  except it was better than any prime rib ive ever had!!!

mikecorn.1

Nice work on
That hunk-a-moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

watchdog56

Chili Head

That looks fantastic! Nice job!

seemore

Never had moose but that looks great
seemore

Georgia Chad

Quote from: seemore on January 17, 2012, 05:47:24 PM
Never had moose but that looks great
seemore

I haven't had moose, either.

stevo133080, how does it compare to beef?  It looks awfully lean.  Is it gamey?

stevo133080

THanks guys.

It is a very lean meat ,  and so far with what weve had,  its not gamey at all as long as it wasnt overcooked.   Ive tried the steaks, burger and now the roast,  and I like it much better than beef.  It actually compares more to elk (but better IMO).  Ive always been told that moose is a really stringy meat,  and I dont see that at all.  I think its one of the best game animals ive taken.

seemore

jayman_1975

I'm not much for beef roasts but since I shot my moose last year I get pretty excited when the wife digs a moose roast out the freezer!  It's by far the best meat I have eaten.

slowpoke

Looks really good.I'm getting tired of moose burger and steaks. This is a great idea. I'll be trying this one for sure.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

fishrman

Ho. ly. Crap.  That looks fantastic.  I gotta get me a Moose.  None here in NorCal.  Hmmmmmm.