Bubba Puck Question

Started by Salmonsmoker, January 29, 2012, 08:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salmonsmoker

I've been lurking this site for several years and have learned a lot. I just changed my Ident to the same as on another forum so I don't confuse myself. I've owned a BTDS108P for 3 years, I think hmm...time does slip away. I recently bought 3 bubba pucks. If I use all 3, the puck advance won't work. Either it's because they're too heavy or something's going on with the puck advance. I thought the pucks would be made out of aluminum, but must be some alloy,as they're heavier. Any thoughts?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

FLBentRider

I use three and my advance works...

However, you can use 2 bubba pucks and put a bisquette as the last one.

See if that works.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Salmonsmoker

Thanks , Bent. I did that yesterday and it worked. I still had to dig the last biscuit out. In the winter in the NW and all the rain, they swell up and fall apart if left in the unit. Maybe it's time to take it apart and give it a good cleaning.

Quarlow

SS I have the same problem. I haven't done it yet but I am going to just drill the heck out of them. If you take your time you can make them look neat. I have seen some drilled ones that look like some kid went nuts with dad's drillpress but some that were drill nicely so as to look cool. But you can lighten them up considerably by drilling them. My puck advancer has always operated right but they just don't like that weight even using 2 with a bisquette for the 3rd.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Salmonsmoker

Excellent idea Q. I wonder if I can drill out the shape of a pork butt?    ;D

mikecorn.1

I use two and a puck. I had to round off the bottoms off my savers cause they would catch while they were sliding. All good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Jim O

I use 2 and a biscuit. Was going to get another Bubba,but why mess with success.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

slowpoke

I must be doing something right,for a change.3 pucks work for me all the time. :D
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

KyNola

CoreyMac

If you are concered about the weight Aubrins (PID guys) make a nice set, that are just a disc not solid. I picked up a set a while back and they work perfect,I just put 3 behind my last puck and never had a problem.

watchdog56

I use 3 bubba's all the time. never a problem.  Used them on both a 4 rack and 6 rack digital

viper125

3 here to. If you want you can get a short pipe and cut off sections the same as pucks and they'll work too!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

viper125

Works fine here. But you can take a drill and put holes in to lighten it wouldnt hurt a thing. A lot of them are made that way.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Tater

3 work for me too but I am going to drill them next time I'm at my buddies house that has a machine shop.  They are quite heavy.

KyNola

I'm going to venture a guess that we aren't all using the same "Bubba pucks". ;D