Deer sausage "smokies"

Started by Barnhart Kid, February 16, 2012, 07:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnhart Kid

I am a new guy (bought original smoker fall of 2011) and looking for advice on what equipment to buy. I will make about 150 pounds of deer smokies and jerky per year. I intend to do so with a reasonably priced electric grinder/stuffer with foot petal switch. Any recommendations on which brand (Cabelas, Lem, etc.) to buy and how much HP? Thanks,
Barnhart Kid

KyNola

Welcome to the forum.  You will find all the information you seek in the "sausage" section of this forum.  One quick thing though.  You are going to want to purchase a grinder separately from a stuffer.  Grinders will grind just fine.  They don't stuff sausages well.

jiggerjams

Depending how serious you want to get with large quantities I hear Rave Reviews of a Kirby Mixer and Kirby Water Cannon. As Kynola mentioned you will find this information in the Sausage section of the forum. Good Luck!!

Barnhart Kid

Thanks for the info, and I will explore further. The forum is really neat as everyone seems to give freely of their experiences, good or bad.
Barnhart Kid

viper125

I also use a stuffer..Now! But for years I did with a hand grinder then went to a kitchenaid. The grinders of any sort will work. Just would be a pain when you do large batches. But did mine for years making 10 lbs at a time. Love the stuffer though lots quicker. But still use grinder for 5-6 lbs and under...easier cleanup.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Barnhart Kid

Thanks all, I will buy a separate stuffer. Anyone know how I can get a look at the Kirby water cannon? Who sells them? Is there a web site I can go to?
I also am zeroing in on a grinder. Seriously considering a STX Megaforce 3000 by the Mercantile Station. Does anyone have any experience with it, especially any bad stuff?
I am trembling with anticipation at the thought of my own deer smokies from my Bradley. I just know they will be 2 times better than I can get at the best deer processors around here.

Barnhart Kid

viper125

Well I just bought one. Used it to grind chicken and it is real quick. Like all grinders it will stuff but its a slow way to go. So I use a stuffer most the time. I just posted pics of it. Its in the general discussions under new toy. Seems like a nice grinder but is mostly aluminium and plastic. Grinding plates and cutters are hardened steel. Also its a #12 grinder so it will grind quickly. The reverse is a nice feature you dont see on cheaper grinders much. Also for 129.00 its a steal i believe. I also bought from that guy on Ebay.
Inside setup.

Barnhart Kid

Thanks Viper125. I am about to buy this grinder but got nervous that every rating on Amazon was way high. Hard to believe, so I sent the message you replied to. I am going to buy a separate stuffer, either a manual or a Kirby cannon. Kirby is sending me info on his stuffer and I will decide thereafter. I really appreciate all the help from you and others. I promise pics on my first try for Bradley deer smokies in a couple of weeks. Got to get the grinder, stuffer and the like first.  My 1st product with the Bradley was whole muscle deer jerkey. Turned out great, like Oberta Hickory beef jerkey except less sweet and more smokey - YUM.

Barnhart Kid.

viper125

Well thats how I felt! I first seen it on a homemade dog food site where they grind bones and all in chicken and turkey. They said all the ones they bought the bones killed them. But they all are using this with great success. So I checked ratings every where. All come back excellent, so for 129.00 where could I go wrong. They said it was real loud but that really dont matter to me as im hard of hearing any way. To me its ok but the wife says she thinks its loud.
Inside setup.