Irish Lamb Stew

Started by zueth, February 16, 2012, 02:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I smoke up a Boneless leg of lamb from Costco and had a bunch of leftover lamb, so I decided to make Irish Lamb Stew. Here are the ingredients:

3/4 pound thickly sliced bacon, diced
    3 pounds lamb, cut into bite size chunks
    1-1/2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 large onion, chopped
    1/4 cup white wine
    2 cups beef stock
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    2 cups diced carrots
    1 large onions, cut into bite-size pieces
    2 potatoes
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 bay leaves
    1/2 cup Guinness Beer

Here are the directions:
    1) Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain and set aside.
    2) Drain fat from frying pat until you have 1/4 cup left in pan. Add the garlic and yellow onion and saute till onion begins to become golden. Deglaze frying pan with 1/4 cup white wine and add the garlic-onion mixture to the stock pot with bacon pieces, beef stock, lamb and sugar. Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
   3)  Add carrots and cook for 10 minutes, then add onions, potatoes, thyme, bay leaves, and beer to pot. Reduce heat, and simmer covered for 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.

I have to say this very, very good and recommend everybody try it out.  I think I will be smoking another leg of lamb, just so I can make this again. The great thing about it is the flavors actually get better when you let it cool and heat it up the next day.

mikecorn.1

Very nice looking stew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Keymaster

I'd Slam a bowl of that, thanks for the recipe!!!

Ka Honu

Bacon, lamb, garlic, & Guinness... How can you go wrong?

Tater

Holy lamb that looks good!  Thanks for the idea!

squirtthecat

SouthernSmoked

Dang!! I bet that's Mmm   Mmmmm Goood!!!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

viper125

Finally some one who actually knows what the Irish eat! Looks very good! With Patty's day coming every body keeps calling corned beef Irish! LOL The Irish only fixes it for tourists who don't know better.LOL
Now that stew looks Killer!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

JZ

Wow that looks great and you say;

"The great thing about it is the flavors actually get better when you let it cool and heat it up the next day."

So if you send me a bowl it will be cooled off by the time it gets here and I can heat it up and will be even better than what you have right now. Sounds good lets give er try.