Sorry -Dumb question

Started by RIP-ROD, February 08, 2012, 07:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIP-ROD

Sorry if this has been asked before
If I have already rubbed a pork butt and froze it -is it OK to go straight to the smoker with it or should I still defrost?

TedEbear

Well, they say to take meat out of the fridge an hour or so before putting it into the smoker to let it get up to room temp.  With that in mind I'd say thawing it out first would be recommended.

GusRobin

depends - with the bradley it would take much longer than normal;something like a MAK or traeger it would probably take less time,but obviously more than if not frozen
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

I would fully defrost it in the refrigerator before I attempted to smoke/cook it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I'm with Habs on this one, in the Bradley you just don't have enough BTU's to defrost it and cook without spending a longer time in the "danger zone" than would be comfortable.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RIP-ROD

Thanks guys-Now I guess I will just have to wait a little longer  :'(

viper125

Me too! Always been told it's not safe to cook most meats frozen any way.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

hal4uk

Squirt cooks "turkey boulders" from frozen, but for a butt, I think you'd better thaw it. 
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Quote from: hal4uk on February 15, 2012, 07:58:29 PM
Squirt cooks "turkey boulders" from frozen, but for a butt, I think you'd better thaw it.
STC also cooks frozen butts but both the boulders and the butts are being cooked on a MAK or Traeger where they have the btu's necessary to come up to temp quickly.

squirtthecat

Yep, I would thaw before putting them in the Bradley.