Sugar free BBQ sauce recipes?

Started by 4given, May 08, 2014, 02:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

Anybody have any Sugar Free BBQ sauce recipes that are worth a darn?

Thanks!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

Saber 4

Sorry I can't help, I don't use a lot of sauces and refuse to use fake sugars in anything, I would bet you could come up with some flavor's you like and blend to your own liking.

Habanero Smoker

Can you clarify your question. Are you looking for recipes that have no added sugar refine sugars or corn syrups? If so you may want to search for a fruit based sauce like blue berry sauce. Or are you counting your carbohydrates and looking for sauces that are sweetened with artificial, and natural sugars that do not increase the carbohydrates?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

4given

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 09, 2014, 01:04:56 PM
Can you clarify your question. Are you looking for recipes that have no added sugar refine sugars or corn syrups? If so you may want to search for a fruit based sauce like blue berry sauce. Or are you counting your carbohydrates and looking for sauces that are sweetened with artificial, and natural sugars that do not increase the carbohydrates?

Habs I want  to try and make my own using stevia and  Erythritol for the sweetner for dietary reasons. I need to keep any type of sugar to a minimum even fruitose.
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

KyNola

KyNola

Google "sugar free bbq sauce recipes".  Several will come up including some commercial brands.

Habanero Smoker

Have you taste tested Stevia. Many users detect a bitter/metallic after taste, I don't use it because I can detect that after taste.

If you are going with a sugar substitute the only thing you need to do is to substitute is to make a sauce you really liked, and substitute the artificial sweetener. If you use stevia or many of the other substitutes out there, you may find you will need to add arrowroot, or cornstarch, or Xanthan gum to thicken up the sauce. Just make small test batches until you know you like the finished product.

I wouldn't buy any of the commercial brands unless a friend recommended them. Many are pretty nasty tasting. :) If you use the phrase "sugar free" in your search, read the recipes, labels or contents closely, many use "sugar free" for products that have no added additional sugar, but could still be very high in carbohydrates.

To further cut down on carbohydrates, you may want to explore mustard base and vinegar based sauces.

One thing I forgot to mention. If you don't go with stevia, make sure the substitute you pick is heat tolerant.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

4given

I have been using both stevia and  Erythritol and find a combination of the 2 to have the best flavor.  Thanks for the help guys! I will have to get to experimenting.
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

pjplovedog

Can you use unsweetened applesauce?  I had a friend who used it in a sauce for sweetness without sugar and I thought it was pretty good.  It wasn't a barbecue sauce, but it was a sauce for basting pork and I think it would be worth a consideration, without "fakey" sweeteners.

4given

Quote from: pjplovedog on May 10, 2014, 09:23:05 AM
Can you use unsweetened applesauce?  I had a friend who used it in a sauce for sweetness without sugar and I thought it was pretty good.  It wasn't a barbecue sauce, but it was a sauce for basting pork and I think it would be worth a consideration, without "fakey" sweeteners.

Nope. Apples = High Glycemic Index
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100