Jan's Rub

Started by Sharne, February 17, 2012, 06:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Quote from: Tulla on February 11, 2014, 01:11:47 AM
About time i found out what all this is about, got the ingredients and even managed to get some Lawrys seasoned salt here in the UK, a bit pricey but hey ho. Now wheres the meat !!

You're gonna love it. :)

pokermeister

I have used Jan's rub with sour cream or cream cheese, mixed well. About 1 tablespoon per 8 oz. Works great as a chip dip.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

IanB

Hi Folks

How do I find the recipe for Jan's rub please ?

TedEbear

Quote from: IanB on February 16, 2014, 09:19:06 AM
Hi Folks

How do I find the recipe for Jan's rub please ?

I'd post the recipe site link but the site is no longer accessible for many of us.

As posted by KyNola (Jan's husband) on the recipe site...

Ingredients:

1 cup + 4 tbsp sugar
    1/4 cup Lawry's seasoned salt
    1/4 cup garlic salt
    1/4 cup + 1 1/2 tsp celery salt
    1/4 cup onion salt
    1/2 cup paprika
    3 Tbsp chili powder
    2 Tbsp black pepper
    1 Tbsp lemon pepper
    2 tsp celery seed
    2 tsp dry ground sage
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/2 tsp dry ground thyme
    1/2 tsp cayenne

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well blended. Store in a cool area away from light in air tight jar or sealable plastic bag.

And if you want the spicy version of Jan's Rub:

Ingredients:

1 cup + 4 tbsp sugar
    1/4 cup Lawry's seasoned salt
  *1/4 cup garlic powder
    1/4 cup + 1 1/2 tsp celery salt
    1/4 cup onion salt
    1/2 cup paprika
    3 Tbsp chili powder
    2 Tbsp black pepper
    1 Tbsp lemon pepper
  *2 tsp cayenne
    2 tsp celery seed
    2 tsp dry ground sage
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/2 tsp dry ground thyme
    * Changes from the original recipe

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well blended. Store in a cool area away from light in air tight jar or sealable plastic bag.

IanB

Many thanks tedEbear, where will i find some recipe's if the site is now closed please.
I am in the UK and look forward to some real tasty recipe's.

Cheers   Ian

TedEbear

Quote from: IanB on February 17, 2014, 08:52:14 AM
Many thanks tedEbear, where will i find some recipe's if the site is now closed please.
I am in the UK and look forward to some real tasty recipe's.

Cheers   Ian

Some people have had intermittent success with getting on the recipe site, so here's the link.  If it doesn't work for you right now they said it should eventually. They are in the middle of making some changes.

www.susanminor.org

ragweed

In the meantime, tell us what you want to make and someone will have a recipe they will send you.

IanB

Thanks guys, i'm attempting Andoulli sausage tomorrow, should be fun.
I got the recipe from one of my customers who lived in america for several years, in the louisianna/mississippi region i believe.

Cheers   Ian

BBNRules

From my personal experience, the 2 tsp of cayenne and the garlic powder didn't make it "spicy".  It took a lot more cayenne and paprika than that for me to get it to spicy. 

tskeeter

Quote from: BBNRules on March 11, 2014, 07:15:16 AM
From my personal experience, the 2 tsp of cayenne and the garlic powder didn't make it "spicy".  It took a lot more cayenne and paprika than that for me to get it to spicy.

Obviously BBN wasn't blessed with Norwegian taste buds.  You know Norway, the home of white food.  Lefse, lutefisk, mashed potatoes.  We Norwegians save a lot of money on hot sauce and cayenne.  Usually just having cayenne in the cupboard will make whatever you're preparing spicy enough.  You don't need to bother with putting any in the food.   :o

KyNola

Quote from: BBNRules on March 11, 2014, 07:15:16 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my KY friend.  My wife Jan and I published the recipes for everyone to enjoy.  You can tweak them however you like them.

kayes

OMG this rub is awesome! I just used it on some babys and grilled them up good! Can't wait to use it on some bbq
My name is Kayes, and I love meat.

tskeeter

Quote from: kayes on April 30, 2014, 05:59:27 PM
OMG this rub is awesome! I just used it on some babys and grilled them up good! Can't wait to use it on some bbq

Kayes, a heavy application of Jan's is my go-to rub for pulled pork.  The wife was in Charlotte a couple of weeks back and ate at a popular local BBQ joint.  She came back and said that my pulled pork was better.  Hey, ain't me.  It's the Jan's.