Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

Ka Honu

If you don't have time to watch the video, the key points are...

• Well rubbed with pepper and (some) salt only
     • Fat side up
     • Don't flip

So simple even a turtle can do it.

mikecorn.1

Dam. Gonna have to hit the laptop to watch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

hal4uk

Quote from: Ka Honu on February 18, 2012, 08:47:16 PM

• Fat side up
     • Don't flip
Hey now... Did you plagiarize that from my tortoise recipe?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

TedEbear

Quote from: Ka Honu on February 18, 2012, 08:47:16 PM
If you don't have time to watch the video, the key points are...

• Fat side up
     • Don't flip

Yes, I believe he said 90% pepper, 10% salt.  Interesting that he said fat side up.  I'm doing one right now the same way but I've read other "how-to" brisket tutorials that say the opposite.

Also, he doesn't mention anything about some type of FTC to let the juices settle before carving.  I will be doing that with mine - currently at 178*F.

smoke em if you got em

I did a 13 pounder today. I cooked it fat side up to see if it makes a difference. I normally put the fat side down and have had pretty good results. Didn't try the salt and pepper rub. Went with a commercial rub I've been wanting to try.  It turned out pretty darn tasty and moist. It's hard to say if it was because it was cooked fat side up or if this particular brisket had better marbling. The rub made for a pretty tasty bark.
Now if I could only learn to slice the darn thing. I always start out pretty good but something goes wrong along the way and it just ends up pretty messy. Not at all like I've seen the pros do it.  Maybe I need a better knife.
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

TedEbear

My little first-timer brisket turned out pretty well today, too.  I had it fat side up all the way with 3 hours of hickory and I never opened the smoker door after I started cooking.  When it reached 180*F at 2:00am this morning I did a FTC for 3 hours and at 5:00am I was too tired to slice it.  I stuck it in the fridge and went back to bed.

When I finally woke up 4 hours later I warmed it up for 2 hours in the oven at 250*F, wrapped in foil with a bit of apple juice in the bottom.  I don't know if that helped with making it tender but it sliced real easy and it was tender.  I was happy with my first time brisket result.