Cold Smoking Sausage

Started by RonFromMn, February 21, 2012, 10:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonFromMn

It may just be a Minnesota /Old European thing, But the only way I've ever had Deer Sausage, call it what ever else, pork and beef combo/venison pork combo, either in Rings, or Links, is made with cure, then cold smoked probably 4 hours, and then wrapped and frozen, to be eaten at a later date after boiling in water. That should put to rest all the questions about cold smoking sausage. As long as there is cure in it, there is no need to bring it up to 152 internal. Of course the sausage is raw at this point but my opinion is that it tastes much better and is juicier when not cooked fully in the smoker.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: RonFromMn on February 21, 2012, 10:56:25 AM
It may just be a Minnesota /Old European thing, But the only way I've ever had Deer Sausage, call it what ever else, pork and beef combo/venison pork combo, either in Rings, or Links, is made with cure, then cold smoked probably 4 hours, and then wrapped and frozen, to be eaten at a later date after boiling in water. That should put to rest all the questions about cold smoking sausage. As long as there is cure in it, there is no need to bring it up to 152 internal. Of course the sausage is raw at this point but my opinion is that it tastes much better and is juicier when not cooked fully in the smoker.

Note to self

Dont eat sausage from Minnesota.

Mr Walleye

There are a lot of people here in Saskatchewan that do this as well. I'm not sure about the 4 hours of smoke but certainly lots do it for 2 hours for sure. I think as long as there is the correct amount of cure in it and you treat it as fresh sausage, meaning you fully cook it prior to consuming it I don't see a problem with it. After all, even if you are smoking a batch completely in the smoker to 152 IT, it would have been below 140 degrees for at least as long as the cold smoke version.

Just me 2 cents,

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

viper125

Well the cure will protect it for roughly 4 hours in the danger zone. I think I'd do 2-3 hours though to be safe especially if it's ground. Depends more i would think on the temps reach cold smoking. Hab will be along soon and well know for sure then.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

NePaSmoKer

I dont have problems doing great the way I cold smoke and cure.

RonFromMn

so let me better understand this, when making bacon, it is cured either in a dry cure, or wet brine, for usually ten days to make sure the cure gets all the way through the meat. When I make sausage, the cure is mixed in and then I simply smoke it for 2-4 hours depending on how heavy I want the smoke. Then its frozen solid, taken out and boiled for at least 15 minutes and eaten . When bacon is cold smoked it is then frozen, and fried completely before being eaten. Can someone let me understand why this sausage isnt safe to eat?

viper125

A lot of sausage is smoked to a UT of 145-165 Then its safe to eat cold. Cold smoking leaves the meat where you have to cook it. The danger part could be smoking foe 4 hours. Cure is only to protect from 40 degrees to 140 degrees while smoking for up to 4 hours. So cold smoking 4 hours could put you in the danger zone right to the wire. Normally most my sausage is smoked 2-3 hours and out of the danger zone and cooking within a hour or a little later.
Inside setup.

KyNola

That should put to rest all the questions about cold smoking sausage.
Thank you for your insight Ron.

Slab bacon (pork belly bacon) and Canadian Bacon is actually cured to get the "bacon" flavor to it.  Neither of them has to be smoked at a "cold smoked" temperature to obtain that flavor. I smoke mine at 200 degrees until the slab bacon reaches an IT of around 150 and the Canadian Bacon reaches 145.

Before I forget, welcome to the Forum Ron.  When you have a chance, tell us about yourself.  Where are you located and what kind of smokers do you have?

Habanero Smoker

Hi RonFromMn;

Welcome to the forum.

Over the years I have seen several posts on this board, of members just cold smoking their sausage, then refrigerating or freezing to fully cook at a later time. It is perfectly safe, and I didn't see any responses that indicated what you are doing is unsafe.

It may be how you presented it. You have stated nothing new to most people on this forum. Though you may like to cold smoke your sausage; the overwhelming members like to fully cook, and have brown and serve sausage. Different people have different taste. Such as I would never boil sausage, but simmer it until it is fully cooked.

Sound like you have a lot of experience in making sausage. Hope you post some of your recipes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RonFromMn

the only reason I started the thread is because after reading many posts from members asking about cold smoking sausage it seemed the popular reply was that it wasnt safe. It got me to thinking if I really have been doing it unsafe all these years. In the area I live there are no less than 6 locker plants that will make your sausage and smoke it or they will actually take your sausage you have made and smoke it for you for a price. Never has it been returned in a ready to eat state, unless it is Summer sausage. Now that being said would they complete it for a person? I'm sure they would. I never meant to come off sounding like I knew it all about smoking and I'm extremely sorry if I came off that way.   personally since I've been asked I have a smallish gas smoker and a 4x4x7 smoke house. I'll also include a link to a spot where I get most of my supplies and information about smoking ect. Again sorry If I overstepped my "bounds"

http://www.schmidtsmeatmarket.com/bkup/index.html

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: RonFromMn on February 22, 2012, 07:15:07 AM
the only reason I started the thread is because after reading many posts from members asking about cold smoking sausage it seemed the popular reply was that it wasnt safe. It got me to thinking if I really have been doing it unsafe all these years. In the area I live there are no less than 6 locker plants that will make your sausage and smoke it or they will actually take your sausage you have made and smoke it for you for a price. Never has it been returned in a ready to eat state, unless it is Summer sausage. Now that being said would they complete it for a person? I'm sure they would. I never meant to come off sounding like I knew it all about smoking and I'm extremely sorry if I came off that way.   personally since I've been asked I have a smallish gas smoker and a 4x4x7 smoke house. I'll also include a link to a spot where I get most of my supplies and information about smoking ect. Again sorry If I overstepped my "bounds"

http://www.schmidtsmeatmarket.com/bkup/index.html

You didnt overstep

We have allot of curious members who would like to dry cure. We just dont want to have some who dont really know the process to get afraid to try it. My items are far far better than any store bought as i'm sure yours are to.

Its all good....Smoke or cure on.....EH

Habanero Smoker

You didn't over step any boundaries, it is often about how information is presented.

I don't read all post so I haven't seen many of those posts, and didn't know that question was so prevalent. I know I have answer a several posts over the years from members just starting out, as to whether cold smoking sausage is safe. What you may have been reading are members inquiring if they can purchase fresh sausage, or use their fresh sausage (sausage that has no cure) and cold or hot smoke it. That they shouldn't do, and the general answer is that you need to cook at  temperatures above 225°F, while applying smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

viper125

No Problem here! Welcome to the site! There is a lot of discussions here on right and wrong ways to do things. People just worry someone might get sick or worse. Also with out open discussion nothing can be solved. I'm sure you will like and learn a lot here. It dont matter if your a pro or a beginner there is always things to learn. Enjoy and always ask questions. Some members thrive on them. LOL
Inside setup.

crackin

My charcuterie book states that all fresh sausage that is smoked should include Cure #1 because, even if hot smoked, the sausage will be between 40 and 140, with little oxygen (inside), which can cause botulism.  Unless you are fully cooking it within an hour or so, which noboby is, it might be wise to use cure #1.

Habanero Smoker

Hi crackin;

Welcome to the forum.

If you go back to the first post you will see that RonFromMn and others are talking about sausage that has cure #1.

You can use a temperature of 225°F or higher to cook fresh sausage in the Bradley, and during that time you can apply smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.