"Damn Good Jerky" Question

Started by JMX, February 24, 2012, 10:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMX

I love the "Damn Good Jerky" brand of beef jerky. It has a lot of flavor, a nice texture, and is real easy to chew. I've been making jerky for awhile but I can't really get it to compare. How can I get my jerky to have that same texture and strong flavor? I use a dehydrator but would a smoker give me that moist, almost rubbery but easy to chew jerky. Or is it a certain cut of lean meat or tenderizer that does it? It's almost as if it would be humid in the package if you left it in the the sun. And as far as the flavor how would I go about that? Is it marinated again half way through the drying process or just in the beginning for a long period or again at the end? It seems like when I make jerky it doesnt have a real strong flavor after dehydrating. Thanks

Indy Smoker

I first started making jerky from grinds and have graduated to the sliced version and have not looked back. I use the LEM seasoning, I've tried others and even some home made versions but found theirs is very good and with everything pre measured for 4 lb batches it just works out well.  I first start with uniform strips that are obtained from a jerky slicer that attached to my grinder.  The 'secret' I use to get the flavor throughout the meat is to use the Reveo vacuum tumbler that forces the seasoning into the meat.  When I mix 2 cups of water with the seasoning (and some fresh ground peppercorns) and add 4 lbs of meat, after 20 minutes in the tumbler there is about 2 tbs of liquid remaining, almost everything gets absorbed.  I don't have a dehydrator, I use the Bradley or the oven with the door slightly ajar (depending what kinda mood I'm in) and cook at 150 for 5 hours rotating racks every hour. 
Check out a vacuum tumbler for jerky - you won't be sorry.

JMX

I've read a lot of the posts on this jerky making forum that mentioned people using their Reveo's. But I thought I read somewheres that they discontinued making them. I'm gonna have to look into it some more. That eliminates having to let the meat sit 24- 48 hours in the marinade right? Is there a big difference in the flavor by using the Reveo vs. sitting in the marinade for a long time. Or another words is it just a big time saver? Thanks for the reply!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: JMX on April 03, 2012, 04:17:34 PM
I've read a lot of the posts on this jerky making forum that mentioned people using their Reveo's. But I thought I read somewheres that they discontinued making them. I'm gonna have to look into it some more. That eliminates having to let the meat sit 24- 48 hours in the marinade right? Is there a big difference in the flavor by using the Reveo vs. sitting in the marinade for a long time. Or another words is it just a big time saver? Thanks for the reply!
I remember the thread. It was being discontinued. Could not find it anywhere online. From what I've read, it's a real time saver cause the
Vacuum sucks the marinade right into the product in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

viper125

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.