Smoked Fish McMack

Started by pikeman_95, February 25, 2012, 08:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

Well I have tried Kummok's salmon several times so this time I thought I would try it on Mackinaw trout. They were all in the 24-28 inch length so they were not to big but large enough to get some good cuts off of them. The first batch I just filet them and soaked them in Soy Vey Veri Veri Teriyakia. This the regular batch

The first batch I just did the regular way and they were great but we liked the thin chunks better. Like the tail and the ribs. So what I did on the second batch was to cut out the needle bones which left a back strap and a rib section. What I did then was take the back strap and cut it all most all the way through and butterflied the cut. I then took the rib section and cut through the thick part horizontally and butterflied it also. So all the parts went into the smoker no thicker then 1/2 to 3/8 of and inch. They were then all soaked in the Soy Vey over night and into the smoker. Dried first and then about 3 hours of smoke. When they are thin they smoke fast. I basted them with Soy vey one time before the were done. They turned out like Smoked fish Jerky. They are chewy and fantastic.  Here are some pictures of the second batch.

These are the best. You just can't screw up with the Soy Vey the salt and sweet turn out great every time.

You can see the back strap chunks that are butterflied. The thick part of the rib sections are also butterflied though it is hard to tell.

They are all vacuum packed and frozen. They will keep for ever this way. I have shared these with friends and they can't get enough.

Kirby

Keymaster

That feesh looks Excellent Kirby!!!

mikecorn.1

Looks very good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Tater

That looks awesome Kirby.  I have a friend that fishes the Mack Days tournament every year.  Next year I think I'll have him bring me a bunch.  Never tried smoking Macks before but you've inspired me.

Tim

devo

Good looking fish there Kirby.

pikeman_95

Quote from: Tater on February 25, 2012, 12:47:50 PM
That looks awesome Kirby.  I have a friend that fishes the Mack Days tournament every year.  Next year I think I'll have him bring me a bunch.  Never tried smoking Macks before but you've inspired me.

Tim

Tim
I am doing the same thing. I have a guy that says he will give all I want. He is going to stay on some property I have at Woods Bay. If you do smoke some I would suggest that you do the butterflied version. They are chewy and so good. You had better start stocking up on the Soy Vey. The 3 trays were used to do 6 Macks I have 12 trays for my smoker. I can do 25 macks at a time. That is going to be one good bunch of fish.

Kirby

Sam3

ghost9mm

Now that is what we call candy in my house...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

slowpoke

I'm druelling here BIG time. They look awesome.This I will try.THANKS.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

pikeman_95

Quote from: slowpoke on March 04, 2012, 04:01:14 AM
I'm druelling here BIG time. They look awesome.This I will try.THANKS.

Around here Macks have a reputation of being a undesirable fish. But smoking them this way they are unbelievable. We have a Mack fishing tournament that starts the 16th of March and I have one of the competitors that is going to give me all the fish I want. They are trying to get all of the Macks caught out of the lake that they can. The guy I am talking to probably catches 50-100 fish a weekend. My smoker will hold 25 of these fish at a time. I can hardly wait. I know I am going to be busy.
Kirby

Tater

I just talked to my buddy.  He promises to stack me up with macks this spring.  Yahoo!

SiFumar

Dang that looks good!  Wish we could get any decent fresh fish here.

pikeman_95

Tater
You had better start collecting your Soy vay veri veri teriyaki. This is a worth while stuff. Walmart has it in their oriental foods. It is just in small bottles. I am trying to find a supplier that will sell it in 1 gallon bottles.

Tater