Smoked Goose

Started by z71driver, February 27, 2012, 04:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z71driver

Hello everyone. I had some one give me several Geese. The only thing is they want me to smoke some. I have been looking all here and on susan minor site. Everything I have found so far say they came out dry. I am hoping someone has a recipe that works. I was thinking about brining it and slow smoking it for a couple of hours. Then I can either try to finish on the smoker as is or wrap it in foil and finish it up. I was thinking this would stop it from drying out. I can maybe pull it out and crisp it up in oven.
Thought?
Thanks,
Mark
You have to be tuff if you going to be dumb!!

Smokeville

I hope you will get better advice than I've got to give you  ::) but goose is so fatty that I'm not sure if brining will help much, and wrapping it in foil to finish would end up with it in a grease bath. I've done geese in a regular oven and you really have to keep removing the fat that gets rendered out.

To add to this: my Gramma had the cure for the common cold -- brown sugar mixed with chopped raw onions mixed into a pint of goose grease. One tablespoon and your cold was gone. Or at least you claimed it was....

My best thought here is to set the goose upright like you would with a beer-can chicken, keep it open at both ends, and cold smoke for an hour or so (for as long as you can keep it safe).

Like I said, better minds will give better advice shortly.

Regards, Rich

viper125

I would definitely do it up right as I do all poultry. Tie a string under the wings and hang. Use a large pan on the rack under it to catch run off grease. I don't eat the skin so I just finish in smoker. I do work jans rub under the skin every where I can. Goose is awful greasy. So be careful and check pan often. I also use my maverick to keep an eye on temp in case a fire. Set the temp about 25 degrees higher then your cook temp. Other then that its the same as a turkey or chicken. By the way Geese make some of the best Jerky going. Not sure if you knew or not.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

z71driver

Thanks guys for the help. I will give it a try. I was worried because I read several post where people were saying it was drying out. not sure what gives there. I am just getting started. so we will see.
Mark
You have to be tuff if you going to be dumb!!

Smokeville

Pictures please! It's a forum rule that if there are no photos then it didn't happen!

You are a lucky guy being given those geese. I have several dozen Canadian Geese walking on the street in front of my house quite often -- they like the grass in the schoolyard across the road and enjoy pooping everywhere. I've often thougt of running one over -- which would be easy but illegal.

Commercial geese here in Ontario are about $6/lb and up so they cost about $50-60 each.

Rich

rsherman24

Personally I have not tried to smoke a whole bird yet, but I have processed the meat into jerky and it comes out fantastic.  I usually take whatever meat I can from the bird and process through a jerky shooter with a seasoning mix.  You can then smoke or dehydrate them to your liking.  Have not tried the whole muscle style yet, but I have a trip planned for snow geese next week so it may be on the menu soon.