Fish Sausage part 2

Started by cobra6223, February 27, 2012, 06:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobra6223

Well here is my attempt at the fish sausage, didn't get all pics but it is the most of the process.

Five pounds of carp ground up and ready:

Spices all added including a half pound of lard:

I skipped the hot tub pic but here is the polar plunge pic:

the all done shot, 6 rolls later:

money shot:

the day after, pattie from stuffer fried, 3 on crackers:

I really depressed that the fried one didn't really taste good, I think some more seismic would have helped as we tons of carp burger around here and this basically looked like it. The ones on the cracker tasted really and I will make it again. Thanks you very much JZ for starting the post.

SouthernSmoked

Dang!! I bet that's Mmm   Mmmmm Goood!!!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

JZ

Nice job Tim. Those rounds look nice and firm and look like they sliced just like a sausage.

The pic of ground meat looks like it could be pork - I was surprised at the color of carp.

Did you bath in 200* water and take the IT to 180* or did you use lower temps. Also you noted that you used  "lard" - I used vegetable shortening and maybe that's why your rounds look firmer. If you are doing this again it might be worth talking to someone that makes a good patty and try and get them to tell you their secret spice.

Not sure why you thank me for starting this thread since neither one of us had success  :( :( :( but that's part of experimenting.  ;D ;D ;D

That's one of the great things about this forum, there are so many people sharing their experiences with others and offering help when it's needed.

cobra6223

JZ your right I also used vegtable shorting, I just call it lard after they are both just a big white blob !! ;D. I put them in the water at 188 and I checked it again it was down to 165 so just left it. checked a temp on the rolls at 30 minutes and they were 142, the next time i checked a temp  I think would have been 40 minutes total and at that time the IT was 182 so I pulled the and then the ice bath. When I make it again I'm thinking about putting some fresh onion it. I thank you because you started the thread and posted the recipe, it sounded so simple and being on crutches now it worked very well as most of it I could sitting down. I wondered about using the Halibut as that is a pretty expensive fish around here and I figured if it didn't work with the carp I could just chuck it out and not lose much.Howeverafter seeing the halibut I'm thinking about trying some northern pike also as it is very bony and grinding it up my be a way to fix that. Well thanks again!!
Tim