Squirrel??

Started by wthr_dude, January 17, 2012, 03:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wthr_dude

I got some squirrel's that are driving me nuts in the deer stand so as soon as deer season is over I'm gonna go get me a few of the tree rats.  I've eaten them a couple times before and really liked them.

Has anybody on here ever thrown them in thier Bradly? If so what did you do with them.

I will definetly post pictures when/if I get around to trying to smoke some  ;D

Waltz

I am sure someone will be along who has smoked squirrel, I haven't but smoked rabbit a couple of times which I suppose you could do in a similar way. I brined it, let it dry off and just hung it in the smoker for two hours smoke and a bit more with just heat at 180 to ensure it was cooked properly. It was tasty enough but a bit dry and tough. Next time I do it I will mop it every half hour or so to try to keep it moist. Let us know how the squirrel turns out.
Waltz

ghost9mm

Never smoked them and I don't know why you couldn't, we cook them till we can pull the meat off the bone and make squirrel pot pie, both baked and boiled...and here is a recipe for boiled pot pie made the amish way, just use squirrel instead of chicken...

http://melscooking.blogspot.com/2009/12/grandmas-boiled-pot-pie.html
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

bears fan

Hahahaha, this reminds me of a story when a bunch of us guys went on a camping weekend and we had chipmunks that were eating all of our food we left out from the night before and we were fed up with them so we started drinking beer early in the morning and decided we could catch one of those little buggers with a wooden box, a stick and some fishing line hooked up to the stick.  You see where I am going with this?  Yep we propped up the box with a stick and attached the fishing line to the stick and then placed a piece of bread under the box because that is what the little buggers were stealing from us.  Fast forward about a case of beer later and we caught one.  Crap, now what do we do.  A buddy said lets skin it and eat it.....uh ok we all say.  So we did.  We used plenty of onions and lawry's season salt on ours and wrapped it in foil and put it on the campfire.  Very tender and tasty.  Thank goodness for the onions and lawry's though.  That's all I got for you.  Not much help, but I had to share our experience with catching and cooking one.

lumpy

Reminds me of Uncle Eddy. He used to eat lots of squirrels until he found out that they are full of cholesterol. ;D ;D ;D

wthr_dude

Haha forgot about how high they are in cholesterol, guess i will have to eat them in moderation  ;)  Ya a couple crossed the line when I had the rifle at the ready just knowing I had a buck tearing up the woods under my stand.  Finally the little buggers showed themselves and thats when i decided a squirrel hunt was in order.  I better keep the chipmunk story quiet because I'm sure if that idea got out at the huntin club I'm in it would probably be attempted  ;D

viper125

We boil squirrel till tender then fry ,make gravy from broth and fresh biscuits. I would think it would be really tough and dry. Slow cookers will work but it takes time. If i was to try the smoker id go real low and slow and long. Probably wrap in foil after a couple hours of smoke with some cider or something to keep moist and make tender. Not sure if a cure or just a favorite rub.  But bet it would be good.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

viper125

Forgot to mention rabbits,squirrel and ground hog all make great sausage.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

chiroken

Hahaha...just the title of the thread had me clicking to check it out! How'd they turn out? Don't know anyone in these parts eatin' squirrel! Guess you'd need a bunch for a meal, ate lots of rabbit growing up on the farm.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.