MOCK SOY VAY VERI VERY TERIYAKI SAUCE

Started by devo, February 28, 2012, 03:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

As was discussed in this thread there is a MOCK SOY VAY VERI VERY TERIYAKI SAUCE recipe out there.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=27090.0

Recipe Here
http://tribes.tribe.net/vegrecipes/thread/2193266d-fe10-4560-81aa-8265c6dacae3

So today I managed to round up all the ingredients and gave it a try. The sesame oil was dam expensive. $10.00 for 375ml. Small jar  :o

Next the sesame seeds where not toasted so I had to read up on how to do that. I followed this.
http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/tipsandtechniques/qt/How-To-Toast-Sesame-Seeds.htm

Used a non stick frying pan and it worked pretty good.

They came out like this. You can see the non toasted ones in the bag.

I used KiKKoman Soy sauce as the base.

All the ingredients in a pot to simmer and break down the sugars.

All bottle up and cooling in the fridge over night.

First I can tell you is in no way dose it smell the same. First taste test it didn't have that zing to it like  VAY VERI VERY TERIYAKI SAUCE and it wasn't as sweet either, so I doubled the brown sugar and that came out a lot closer for sweetness. They say to let it sit over night so I will taste again in the morning. I guess the true test will be to use it on something I would have used  VAY VERI VERY TERIYAKI SAUCE on and see what the outcome is.

SiFumar

I was just thinking about this recipe this morning since seeing it!  Was wondering if anyone had tried it yet. Thanks for posting...and can't wait to hear how the over night sitting helps.  If it doesn't taste like Soy Vay, how does it compare as a teriyaki sauce?  I go thru alot of soy vay!  Thanks Devo!

devo

First thing this morning (6AM) before my taste buds had coffee or any thing else to wake them up I got the bottle of MOCK SOY VAY VERI VERY TERIYAKI SAUCE. I noticed that the oil had separated but no big deal just give it a good shake and it looks just like the real thing. Next the taste was pretty darn close to the real thing. I'm thinking this stuff will only get better as it ages. Another thing I might try is to heat the garlic in a frying pan to bring out some more of the flavor.  When you taste the mock then the real stuff there is a difference but I really don't think its that much. Like I said I adjusted the amount of brown sugar because I thought it needed to be sweeter but just go with the recipe and add some more if you feel it needs it. I think the brown sugar can only help put a nice glaze on smoked salmon. Next test is using this on some salmon but that will have to wait till next week as I have other projects on the go. I need to retire so I have time for this hobby  ;)

Mr Walleye

Devo

Thanks for sharing your thorough testing on this. Veri Very helpful.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoke some

SiFumar

Thanks for the follow up Devo.  BTW if you can get to a Sams Club you can buy a can(56oz) of sesame oil for $7.81.  We use it alot...but I still keep it in the refrigerator.

hybridcx

Just curious what your cost break down was for a matching bottle of the real deal? Just off the oil alone price I'm curious if it's much cheaper. At Wally world here I can get a standard (I am at work I can check tonigt what size) size bottle for 3.27$

devo

For me when i bought a one gal. bottle at $37.88 a gal. and had it shipped to me here in Ontario Canada the total was $78 bucks to my door. I would have to say making my own even if it's not bang on is a BIG savings. Can't break it down completely because some ingredients I all ready had but I would say 1/3 the cost.

hybridcx

Damn at that cost I can see the advantages...

La Quinta

I guess the good and the bad about seasame oil is...it's pricey...the good is it is potent...we use it all of the time as we enjoy asian food...most important thing to know...it is a finishing/marinating oil...not a cooking oil...EVER...it will burn...just an FYI for anyone not used to using it...it is very tasty...and yes...once it's open it needs to go into the fridge...

slowpoke

Devo,thanks for the info.I did some research on homemade Teriyaki awhile back.The zing your missing might be the 1 cup of Mirin
(sweet rice wine).Just a thought.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

devo

I made another batch of this tonight.  This is the way I made it tonight and I must say the zing is back  :)
Things I changed are in red

Ingredients

2 cups - Soy sauce
¾ cup - white sugar
3/4 cup - brown sugar
1 Tbsp - fresh garlic (minced) than heated in frying pan with some sesame oil till you smell it but not cooked
1 Tbsp - fresh ginger (minced) than heated in frying pan  with some sesame oil till you smell it but not cooked
I did both at the same time
¼ cup - sesame seeds (toasted)
¼ cup - sesame oil
¼ cup - dried onion
1 tsp - onion powder
1 tsp - garlic powder
1 tsp - ginger powder
1 Tbsp - cornstarch (dissolved in water)
1 Tbsp of Gun powder (Sure Shot Sid's) not needed but hey why not 
Heat over low heat till sugar is melted than increase temp to bring to a slow boil stirring all the time. Remove from heat and continual to stir till it starts to cool. It will thicken at this time.
enjoy

devo

This batch came out even better than the first. The oil never separated this time. I think bringing the whole mixture to a soft boil might have something to do with it.

SiFumar

Thanks for the update on this Devo.  Making some this weekend.

devo

Made a double batch this morning. Cut back a tad on the sugar as I was finding it a bit to sweet.

Double batch and not even 1/2 a Gal.  :o