Mealy texture on Kielbasa

Started by awysocki, February 29, 2012, 03:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

Andy
I have my share of sausages that didn't turn out the first time. You are not that far off the mark just keep at it. Do you have a list of the ingrediants that went to your sausage. I always like to find new reicpes.

awysocki

Quote from: pikeman_95 on February 29, 2012, 08:04:49 PM
Andy
I have my share of sausages that didn't turn out the first time. You are not that far off the mark just keep at it. Do you have a list of the ingrediants that went to your sausage. I always like to find new reicpes.

This is NOT a recipe I would suggest making as it is too high in fat.

This is what I used, I'm not 100% sure how much pork belly I added because I asked the butcher for 1lb and not sure what he gave me but the end weight I'm sure of.

6.5 lb Pork Butt
1 lb Pork Belly (note: this is way too much, I think my next try I will use 1/3 lb)
     - My total meat weight was 7.5 pounds,

1.5 cups soy protein
4T Kosher salt
2tsp sugar
1.5 tsp Insta Cure #1
1.5 cup of ice water ( I added the cure to the water and stirred it up best I could)
1T pepper (I like pepper)
5 cloves garlic - recipe called for 2 large cloves garlic, I wasn't sure what they considered a clove so I used 5 big & med sized pieces of a garlic head
1 heaping tsp marjoram
1.5 tsp ground mustard (this is my own addition, not called for in the original recipe)

CoreyMac

x2 on maybe a finer grind. Those actually look pretty good to me but I like a sausage with larger chunks in it ;D Your fill is good, nice uniform stuffing. Not too hot by any means.