Cooking temps

Started by Smoking4fun, February 06, 2011, 03:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking4fun

New to smoking, got OBS for Christmas and have smoked 3-4 times, each time food cooks fast, I have adjusted the sliding temp control and have to have it on low temp. Tried a 10# butt this weekend and was at 190 IT in about 10 hours. Everything I've read should have taken longer, any comments. Gauge on the door seems to read low when I use another gauge.

GusRobin

the door gauge can be off by as much as 20 degrees or more. It is in a position where it is impacted by the placement of the meat. Many folks get a remote thermometer such as the Maverick 732, or cheaper versions. Those allow you to place the temp probe is a good location to read what the meat is really seeing. In fact, I have removed by door temp probe and plugged the hole with a washer, nut and bolt.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smoking4fun

Thanks, I don't think it is the placement of the meat, I will look into getting another gauge. I do use a separate thermometer to gauge the IT.

TestRocket

Welcome Smoking4fun,

Gus is shooting you straight about the door temp gauge, but I have to say your post is the first one I've seen where a 10# butt is done in 10 hrs. Do you have your OBS plugged into 220 volts (just kidding)? But I have to say this a new problem and the only things I can think to ask is what is your vent position and what rack position (from the top) are you smoking in?

Smoking4fun

I had it on the second rack from the top with the vent open 3/4 to full since everything I've been reading has stated to have it open.

Habanero Smoker

In a Bradley, ten hours for a ten pound butt is fast to get to 190°F, but if it pulled alright then everything is good. If it didn't pull easily, then something is wrong. You meat probe may not be accurate, or you did not have it inserted deep enough or too close to the bone.

What was the highest temperature your door thermometer read?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)