bubbagumps custom PID

Started by SMOKEHOUSE ROB, January 31, 2006, 12:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

Or you could just buy one that's already built and programmed for a Bradley.  They have a single and/or dual probe model.  Check out the Auber Instruments PID at http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=72  I have the single probe model and love it.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

TedEbear

Quote from: mhoy on February 05, 2011, 08:39:10 AMWow, I think I'm going to have to do this at some point and I've only started my 2nd smoke today!  ;D

Mark

I recently did this to mine and it turned out great.  Less than $45 for the Auber PID controller, $15 for a 25A relay, $15 for an Auber clip-on TC and a free heatsink I salvaged from some scrap computer stuff at work.  I mounted it all inside the smoke generator box, like I saw some others do on here.  The final result looks like it came that way from the factory.

I also added a second heating element while I had everything apart.  Preheat times are now less than 15 minutes, even when the outdoor temp is below freezing. 

mhoy

It's funny, the other thread is what eventually led me to this one.

I happen to have a PID laying around from a project I never got around to using (putting a PID in my restored Elektra T1 espresso machine).   It's not the same size as many of you have used so it may not fit inside the smoke unit. I'll have to check it out when I'm not smoking something.  :D   I really like the clean look of having it inside the smoke box so I may be ordering from Auber or Ebay. 

Mark

West TN Smoker

I did exactly what TedEBear did, it really kicks butt.

Thanks for all the info and pics, bubba and the others.

Habanero Smoker

A couple of things about putting the PID in the smoke generator you may want to give some thought to. Though it is convenient, if the generator breaks down and needs to be replaced, you will have to reinstall the PID in the new generator. Also it may limit it's use to only the Bradley Smoker while a stand-alone can be easily used to control other devices.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)