Might purchase one questions please?

Started by wolverines, March 03, 2012, 04:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolverines

Hi. I am really thinking of purchasing the 4 rack digital smoker.  I was wondering if everyone is pleased with theirs?  I have heard of a lot of heating element problems and can't decide if just the 1 year warranty is worth purchasing this unit. I only intened on using this for home use and $500 dollars is a lot of money to me with only a 1 year warranty. 

Also, I see some on here add elements. Is that something that I would have to do with the 4 rack? Please help out this rookie!

Any comments, suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BP

muebe

Might I suggest getting the original bradley and a PID instead. It will run you a little bit more cost wise but you will have much better temp control.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

slowpoke

I'm Very pleased with my Digital 4 rack bradley,but if I had to do it over,I would go for the digital 6 rack.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: slowpoke on March 03, 2012, 06:44:54 PM
I'm Very pleased with my Digital 4 rack bradley,but if I had to do it over,I would go for the digital 6 rack.
Same here. Would be nice to have
The extra room.  :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

JZ

It would help if we knew where you are from. If it gets really cold where you are then you might want the second element but if you live in a warm climate then it would likely be a waste of time and money. I have both the OBS (original Bradley smoker) and the DBS (digital Bradley smoker) both are 4 racks. My OBS is about 5 years old and never had a heating element problem with it. I got the DBS because I wanted to be able to just set a temp and know it would stay there without having to fiddle with a slider. I was not aware that the temps would swing either side of the set temp but that is not a big deal unless you are going to do sausages then it is more important to have stable temps but not critical (I have done sausages in the DBS in the winter and they still turned out great). I did have an element go out on my DBS and I was not happy about it but Bradley replaced it and I have not had a problem with the element since. I also had a problem with the door and Bradley replaced that. I really like the DBS and probably would have just kept using it but I live in a cold climate and like to do double batches of fish and usually in the fall or winter and with only a single element that was just too much for the single element.

So I am in the process of making several mods to the OBS and will use it as my primary smoker when done. With the OBS you need to stay nearby and adjust the slider until you get the temp just right (unless you have a PID which will control the temp much better than the DBS).

IMO there are some quality issues with the Bradley smokers and depending on your point of view they may be considered minor. My biggest concern is with the plastic door hinges. On my 6 month old DBS the top hinge is already cracked and I am very careful with opening and closing the door. Some of the members don't seem to have issues and others do. Some members have posted fixes for the door hinge issue and I will likely end up making changes to mine when it fails.

These are my opinions and experiences and only intended to make you more informed before you make a decision.

Having said all of this I still like my DBS and am sure I will like my OBS even more than the DBS after the mods.

wolverines

Thanks to all who have replied. I live in Indiana and it gets cold in the winter here as well. I'm sure not as cold as where you live.  So, is the second element something Bradley can do or is that something I have to do and is covered by warranty/ easy to do?

Also, someone said to get the OBS with a PID...what's a PID and can you use a PID with the DBS?  The only reason I was thinking about the DBS was so I could put my meat in and be able to walk away for a few hours if I had to.

I usually do about 2-3 butts and 4 racks of ribs.  Would the 4 rack be able to handle that or should I think more about the 6 rack?

Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it.

BP

Habanero Smoker

If the warranty is one of your major concerns, then you should wait until the warranty has expired prior to making any modifications. Although Bradley is very liberal in allowing users to work on their smoker to bring it back to manufacturers standards, I'm sure adding elements and/or a fan will void the warranty. Adding a PID or other temperture control device, is perfectly alright.

I ran my OBS for more then 4 years before adding a second element. The second element is good to have, but I produced just as good food then as I do now.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

muebe

Here is a link to the single probe PID...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=72

Here is a link to the dual probe...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=151

The PID turns a original into a better digital. You can install a PID on a digital but it will do the same thing on the original so unless you want a six rack Bradley I would get the original with a PID.

Read the product description on the website for more details. I do not believe these PID units will void your warranty...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

watchdog56

I have had the 4 rack digital and now have the 6 rack digital. I live in Minnesota and smoke a lot in the winter. I put in an extra element in my 6 rack to help with heat recovery. Works great. I did not have it in my 4 rack but I wanted it many times just never got around to adding one. If you plan on making sausage(sooner or later you will get the bug then you are hooked) you will need a PID which will control your temps a lot tighter+/- 2 degree. With the digital you will have swings +/- 15 degree. You need tighter temp controls when making sausage and fish. If you only want the 4 rack you might want to go with the original smoker and spend the extra on a PID but if you want more room then you will have to buy the 6 rack and also need a PID to do sausage.

Salmonsmoker

I bought the digital 6 rack shortly after they became available, because I needed the capacity. It's been absolutely trouble free since new. I do have the 900w element  and fan parts upgrade, but haven't installed them yet. I live in the PNW, so it doesn't get as cold as where you live, but can get down into the teens occasionally, and I've smoked @ those temps. Shortly after buying the Bradley I bought an Auber single probe pid which controls the heating element, so the digital control is bypassed. If I knew I was headed in that direction before buying, I would have gone with the OBS. Also, just picked up the cold smoking adapter kit which works great. WINNING!
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

beefmann

i would go  with the  original 4 rack with a pid and heater mod  which can do  40 lbs of meat though a bit tight, if you  are considering  sausage  which might  be  longer  then  get the  6 rack.

i have had my  4 rack for over 6 years  now  and  only  wished i had the 6 rack twice in that  time,  so consider how much room you  will need before  purchasing

wolverines

Thanks for all of the information. It is a bit overwhelming for a newbie. So, I am thinking of going with the OBS with a PID. Is the PID easy to install? How do you get the sensor in the smoker? Also, somone said they upgraded their heater element and fan . Are these items something you can get from Bradley or are they after market? Also, is it hard to put in an extra element? Anyone have any pictures?

Why doesn't Bradley put better temp control monitors in their digital smokers? Seems like such a waste if they don't have better temp control.

Sorry for all of the questions. Just want to make sure I know what I am getting into and am make sure I purchase what I want and need.

Thanks again.

BP

Salmonsmoker

The heater element/fan upgrades are after market things. They will probably void your warranty, so you might want to wait on those. The PID (single probe) is as easy as plugging the PID into the receptacle, plugging the heating element into the PID unit, hanging the temperature probe through the smoke vent, turning it on and programmming your smoking profile. I smoke year round and live in the PNW where maintaining temps. are managable most times.  The add-ons are for quicker recovery, more even heat distribution, which helps keep from having to re-arrange the racks during the smoke. For the price of these smokers I think you'd be hard pressed to find better.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

wolverines

What is the difference between the BOS and the Bradley Electric Smoker? Still having trouble deciding what I want. 

With a PID would I be able to set it and be able to walk away like the digital smokers?

Seems like the Digital smokers would be the way to go if the temp control was better.

Thanks again

mikecorn.1

You can walk away from both without the PID. The PID will help keep the temp at +/- 1. The BDS (digital) has a digital display where u can see what temp you set it at. ( this is what I have). OBS, I don't have but believe  you slide the temp slider till you get the temp you want bit will not display it. They both have big temp swings and is the reason for the PID. On the DBS you can see it cause the digital display. You need a thermometer in the obs
Hopefully someone will clarify OBS
here since I dont have it.
GOOD LUCK!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike