Two foil or not - Rib cooking

Started by SoCalBill, February 16, 2012, 08:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBill

I have done it both ways. When I first started cooking ribs a would foil with apple juice then unwrap for the final hour or so till done. Both work and both make good ribs. I think I prefer just leaving them be and misting apple juice every 30 mins or so.

I wanted to get the opinions of other people.

When you are doing ribs do you wrap the ribs in foil with some liquid for the second leg of the cook or do you just leave it be?

Pros and Cons to either?

CoreyMac

I foil longer than normal because I like my ribs really moist. JMHO

mikecorn.1

I like to foil also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TedEbear

I foil with 2/3 cup of apple juice for the second stage because I like them fall-off-the-bone tender.

hal4uk

It's a matter of preference, but more importantly, it depends on the type of smoker, how much other meat is in there, how often you open the door, etc...  All of that comes down to the real issue which is humidity.  The more humid the environment, the less (if any) need to foil.  So, basically, peoples' preferences (whether they realize it or not) are a manifestation of humidity.   Just do whatever works for you. ;)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

viper125

Well I foil. But I prefer cider. I like the added flavor and moisture from foiling.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Tater

I have never foiled.  Made lotsa ribs.  I'm going to try it next time just because I'm willing to learn new things.

chiroken

I have only foiled and basically follow the procedures posted here and they are great. (time for me is the 3-2-1 method, easier to keep track of! 3 hrs on rack, 2 hrs in foil with apple juice/cider, 1 hr on rack with BBQ sauce with an initial 2 hrs smoke) Think I'll try longer in the foil to see if moisture/tenderness increases. It'll be 2-3-1 next time around. Any problems you see with this?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

thirtydaZe

i boat my ribs.  i consider it an essential part of the process.

in fact, i lay on the smoke and heat, boat in apple juice, then i sauce and foil to finish.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

mikecorn.1

Quote from: chiroken on March 01, 2012, 10:07:57 AM
I have only foiled and basically follow the procedures posted here and they are great. (time for me is the 3-2-1 method, easier to keep track of! 3 hrs on rack, 2 hrs in foil with apple juice/cider, 1 hr on rack with BBQ sauce with an initial 2 hrs smoke) Think I'll try longer in the foil to see if moisture/tenderness increases. It'll be 2-3-1 next time around. Any problems you see with this?
I've done the 2-3-1. Also 2-3-.5. If they're the way I like them coming out of the foil stage, I dont run them too long again uncovered cause they will get firmer than what the wife and kids like. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

SoCalBill

I'm doing 6 racks this Sunday. Not sure I will foil or not. The last few times I have just loaded a sprayer with apple juice and misted the ribs every 30 min. They turn out great either way foiling or not.

watchdog56

I like to foil. The last couple of time when I put them in foil I sprinkle brown sugar on top and spread some honey on also,for juice I have used apple juice 1 time and another time I used beer. Both came out excellent.

TedEbear

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on March 01, 2012, 11:35:30 AM
I've done the 2-3-1. Also 2-3-.5. If they're the way I like them coming out of the foil stage, I dont run them too long again uncovered cause they will get firmer than what the wife and kids like.

With ribs I've either been able to get them fall-off-the-bone tender in the oven by steaming them with apple juice or tasty but not as tender in the Bradley.  The oven gets them tender but not as much flavor and vice versa with the Bradley. I wanted to have both at the same time.

I read this thread the other day and figured I'd try the 2-3-.5 last night with some spare ribs. They turned out FABULOUS.   ;D  I made my first batch of Jan's spicy rub and put that on my slab. My wife likes them not so hot so she got some Meathead's Memphis Dust on hers.  I used 2 apple and 3 cherry pucks. 

During the last .5 stage I sprinkled both slabs with brown sugar and some squirts of honey. I then did a FTC for about an hour before we dove into them.  Sorry, no pics.  It was 11:00 p.m. and I was hungry.