QUESTION !!

Started by Jim O, March 05, 2012, 05:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim O

I've used marinades,and rubs but never brines. What's the reason for brining ?

Thanks

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

FLBentRider

Add moisture and flavors.

Water soluble flavors work best.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

hal4uk

That's an interesting question.
I reckon both involve some level of immersion in liquid goodness for the purpose of "soaking it up".
But, "brining" most definitely brings SALT to mind.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

begolf25

Try brining your next batch of chicken or turkey before you cook it. You will wish you have always done it.

ghost9mm

Quote from: begolf25 on March 06, 2012, 05:22:59 PM
Try brining your next batch of chicken or turkey before you cook it. You will wish you have always done it.

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

muebe

As others stated brining is to add moisture to the meat. Any flavorings that are added to the brine will also flavor the meat.

The brine is naturally forced into the meat because the brine has a higher salt content than the meat. The solution tries to equalize itself.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

viper125

Lets not for get the Hammy taste cure gives to the meat. As I only brine when I cure. I marinade just to add flavor and moisture. 2 totally different things to me.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

FLBentRider

Quote from: begolf25 on March 06, 2012, 05:22:59 PM

X3

I brine poultry without cure. No hammy taste here.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

viper125

Brine is a solution of salt (usually sodium chloride) in water. In different contexts, Brine may refer to salt solutions ranging from about 3.5% (a typical concentration of seawater, or the lower end of solutions used for brining foods) up to about 26% (a typical saturated solution, depending on temperature).
Brine is used to preserve vegetables, fruit, fish, and meat, in a process known as brining (now less popular than historically). Brine is also commonly used to age Halloumi and Feta cheeses, or for pickling foodstuffs, as a means of preserving them (or increasing taste).

Marination is the process of soaking foods in a seasoned, often acidic, liquid before cooking. The origins of the word allude to the use of brine (aqua marina) in the pickling process, which led to the technique of adding flavor by immersion in liquid. The liquid in question, the 'marinade', can be acidic with ingredients such as vinegar, lemon juice, or wine or enzymatic (made with ingredients such as pineapple or papaya.)[1] Along with these liquids, a marinade often contains oils, herbs, and spices to further flavor the food items.
It is commonly used to flavor foods and to tenderize tougher cuts of meat.[2] The process may last seconds or days. Different marinades are used in different cuisines. For example, in Indian cuisine the marinade is usually prepared with a mixture of spices.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.