The not so good kind of smoke came out of SG

Started by sinuuar, March 08, 2012, 06:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinuuar

OBS was sitting in storage (garage) for a few months so i took out today and plugged her in. Turned the switch to on and hit the advanced button and of course it stuck  :-[ i was gone for a minute or 2 looking for something to pop the button out while it was trying to feed pucks. When I came back I saw a wisp of black smoke and the smell of burning wire.

As soon as i saw the smoke i unplugged it WTF?

anyhoo i cracked the box up, wasn't too much wood chips in there, the fuse I think was still good but was stuck in the holder. I couldn't pull it out and ended up breaking it as i twisted it but the wire was intact inside.

If you look at the picture you will note the red wire from the block and the 1 brown wire to the switch got burned 1 inch from the back of the holder the other brown wire leading to the heater plug was undamaged. The red wire was complete melted off the holder.

I completely stripped the SG apart and cleaned every part, check the guides and the motor for any binding. I even opened up the electronic box and checked to see if anything was burnt inside, it passed the visual and sniff test.

So i'm off to my local electronic shop to get another fuse holder and some wire. I hoping it's just a bad/corroded connection to the fuse holder that caused it to overheat the wires if anything i would had assumed it would had been the rocker switch that melted.

Anything else should i check? how many ohms should the hot plate and heating element be? how can I check the temperature switch if it still good?

The stock fuse was a 10 amp 250v? need to get some as well.

beefmann

man that  sucks, looks to be an over load  some where or  short,  check these issues out before powering up again

viper125

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

If it had been in storage, check all the other wiring. Rodents may have gotten in the generator and chewed on some wires.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)