Different brands of PIDs

Started by 4given, March 07, 2012, 11:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

I know the Auber is a brand of PID taht many folks use. I saw a post yesterday were someone mentioed the got a PID from Grainger that was about $75.00 and worked good as well. It was a rayco or soemthing like that. I have searched and searched today and can't find the post.

What brands of PID have you all used?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

mikecorn.1

I have the auber dual probe PID.
auberins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TedEbear

Quote from: 4given on March 07, 2012, 11:33:05 AMI saw a post yesterday were someone mentioed the got a PID from Grainger that was about $75.00 and worked good as well. It was a rayco or soemthing like that. I have searched and searched today and can't find the post.

It was a Ranco.  Here is the thread:  Maintaining a Steady Temp

Are you looking strictly for a plug-n-play?  Auber sells PID controller for as little as $45 that you can install in a project box or in your smoke generator box.  Here's a pic of mine:

pensrock

Here is mine. First I repaired a Industrial Honeywell temperature controller then built the box. Works fantastic, however I would not suggest anyone do this unless they can get the instrument real cheap cause a new one would cost much more than the smoker itself.

side view

4given

Quote from: TedEbear on March 07, 2012, 10:48:24 PM
Quote from: 4given on March 07, 2012, 11:33:05 AMI saw a post yesterday were someone mentioed the got a PID from Grainger that was about $75.00 and worked good as well. It was a rayco or soemthing like that. I have searched and searched today and can't find the post.

It was a Ranco.  Here is the thread:  Maintaining a Steady Temp

Are you looking strictly for a plug-n-play?  Auber sells PID controller for as little as $45 that you can install in a project box or in your smoke generator box.  Here's a pic of mine:

I would be interested in wiring my own if I could get it for 45 bucks.  Does that come with a probe also?  Do you have a link to the PID and are there wiring instructions?

Thanks!

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

4given

Quote from: pensrock on March 08, 2012, 05:40:13 AM
Here is mine. First I repaired a Industrial Honeywell temperature controller then built the box. Works fantastic, however I would not suggest anyone do this unless they can get the instrument real cheap cause a new one would cost much more than the smoker itself.

side view

Nice job!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

TedEbear

Quote from: 4given on March 08, 2012, 06:10:05 AM
I would be interested in wiring my own if I could get it for 45 bucks.  Does that come with a probe also?  Do you have a link to the PID and are there wiring instructions?

The probe, SSR and anything else is not part of the $45 cost.  With everything else added the cost would be around $70-$80.  I saved a little by mounting it in the SG box, so no project box cost.  You need a heat sink for the SSR. I salvaged one for free out of an old PC at work that was headed for the dumpster.

Here are the Auber PID Controllers.  I have the SYL-2352 model. You'll also need a 25A SSR and a K-type Thermocouple.  I have the one with the alligator clip already attached (model TC-K6A).  You'll need a female panel mount connector to plug it into.

There are several how-to articles on installing it.  Here's one : PID Controller

It may sound like a lot of work but it's at least 1/2 the cost of the plug-n-play versions and everything is neat and tidy in the box without a bunch of extra wires running all over the place.