First Mock Soy Vay Try

Started by JZ, June 03, 2012, 09:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Following Devo's thread, I tried making some of this stuff. The first thing I noticed is that contrary to the original posters experience it took me a lot longer than 20 minutes to make this. Heck it took me 20 minutes to go through the cupboards to find the ingredients. :)

The second thing I ran into was that the sauce did not thicken after I added the cornstarch so I added some more. Here is a pic of the mixture in the pot just before putting it into a container.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/JZ-bucket/Smoker/Smoker%202/e004.jpg[/img]]

Even after adding more cornstarch it did not thicken so I am thinking I did something wrong and double checked Devo's thread. I noticed he had better results after bringing the mix to a slow boil. So I got the stuff I made out of the fridge and back on to the stove and brought it to a slow boil. It started to thicken right away and now I realized that I should not have added more cornstarch. The issue was that I should have heated the mix a little more. Live and learn.

The following pic is of the finished mix after the first attempt and the next pic is after the second. It is hard to tell in the pics but the seeds in the first attempt were all floating on top of the fluid and in the second they are more mixed into it. I also noticed a huge change in the flavor. Before heating it for the second time the stuff had a very sweet taste but after the second heat the sweetness was replaced by a very salty taste. Weird - same stuff totally different taste. I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to see what the final results will be.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/JZ-bucket/Smoker/Smoker%202/e.jpg[/img]]

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/JZ-bucket/Smoker/Smoker%202/e006.jpg[/img]]

mikecorn.1

I just tried the stuff out the bottle yesterday at my brother' s house. Good stuff.
I was told one time that when you add cornstarch to a sauce, that you will see its max thickening power when it comes to a boil :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

JZ

You are right about the cornstarch - cause it sure got thick after I brought it to a boil. Too bad I added the second tbsp of starch cause it is now pretty thick. Still ok but thicker than I would like it to be. Oh well - still learning. :)

I thought about the big flavor swing from sweet to salty, when I boiled it and think maybe I got it too hot and burned the sugars or something. It is still quite salty this morning and not as sweet as before I boiled it. The flavor before boiling was very good and not as good now. I am sure I have done something wrong.

Since I have never tasted the real thing (not pepsi or coke  ;D) I cannot tell if this stuff is close.

I am going to make 6 lbs of jerky mix today and will mix a bit of this in a trial batch and cook to see what the flavor is like, before I do the whole batch.

KyNola

Mike hit the nail right on the head.  Any thickening agent, cornstarch, arrowroot, roux, will not reach it's full thickening potential until it is brought to a oil.

SiFumar

You can always thin out with some pineapple juice.