Multiple Butts

Started by KAG, March 08, 2012, 10:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KAG

I need to smoke five 6 ibs butts for saturday night.  This will be my first time smoking more than two, so my question is how much time do i need to to smoke all five?  Does the usual 1.5 to 2 hours per pound still apply?

mikecorn.1

I would have started already then vacuum sealed them. IMHO. Just me. That's alot of butt. ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

irish_smoker

QuoteI would have started already then vacuum sealed them. IMHO. Just me. That's alot of butt.

While I agree with mc, that doesn't do you much good at this point.  The most butts I have done in one smoking is 4 that were probbaly ranging from 6-8 lbs.  It was a few years ago, but I think it took a total of about 30 hours from beginning to the last one.  Something you could do to help the process along is put them all in the Bradley for the first 4-6 hours with smoke (rotate halfway through) and then bring 2 or 3 of them inside to a 225 oven.  Just a thought.

sparky1

Talk to squirtthecat. He has cooked more butts than anyone I know.  He has cooked 5 or 6 at a time.  They always come out perfect.
26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM

KyNola

Agree with Irish Smoker.  Get the smoke on them and move at least half of them to your house oven.  Place on a rack in roasting pans at 225.  Bradley will struggle with 30 pounds of meat. It would be a long process.

squirtthecat

Ditto!

I've never done more than 2 at a time in my Bradley..   I can do larger loads in my Pellet Smokers.

KAG

Thanks for the responses.  I just have to have them ready by 6:00 saturday night, so I just fired the Bradley up and will go ahead and put them in.  I have over 48 to be done so I have time to figure something out if I run into problems.  I will post updates.

watchdog56

Just remember they will stall around 165 for a couple of hours maybe more with that much meat in.

ghost9mm

You have your work cut for yourself and your Bradley, the most I have done is three at one time in the Bradley and If I remember right it took about 19 hours to get them to IT 195...good luck with yours...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

mhiykmeel63

Just curious, do you increase the smoke time if you have more then one butt loaded?

KAG

Everything loaded and ready to go.  ;D

mikecorn.1

Dayum!! Lotta butt :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

mhiykmeel63

KAG

All those butts are going to create alot of grease, so I put that pan on the bottom rack with water  to catch it all (hopefully).

KAG

Just hit four hours and the Bradley is finally @ 225.