Multiple Butts

Started by KAG, March 08, 2012, 10:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

That is a large pan to be placing over the drip tray. The drip tray also allows heat to easily ventilate form the element through out the smoker. Keep an eye on it, you may be trapping too much heat below the drip tray.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KAG

Did not think about that.  Thanks for the advice Habanero.

KAG

So after 12 hours I have internal temps ranging from 141 on bottom to 137 on top.  Everything seems to be going good.  Hopefully if everthing goes good they will hit the 165 plateau this evening.

irish_smoker

QuoteSo after 12 hours I have internal temps ranging from 141 on bottom to 137 on top.  Everything seems to be going good.  Hopefully if everthing goes good they will hit the 165 plateau this evening.

Sounding good so far, I've never really worried about grease and like Habs said, having that tray above the v is going to keep the heat from moving around as easily.  Someone on here suggested several years ago to use the smaller (12x10) alum trays in place of the water bowl to catch the spent pucks and I have been doing that ever since.

KAG

Just hit the 24 hour mark.  One butt is at 168 ;D.  The rest are between 155 and 160.

mikecorn.1

Marathon smoke!! ;D. I think you just hit the
Famous stall!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

KAG

The first five have all reached 165 or better.  The top right one is one that I added this moring after reading a post about rubbing with molasses instead of mustard. Sounded to good so I had to try it and besides I need something to pull for the beans.

tdwester

12 hours to get past 140? That's a long time to be in the "danger zone".

KAG

Interesting point.  Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong, but from what I know is that bacteria grows on the outside and as I am sure that the tempature on the outside of the meat did not stay in the danger zone for very long.  Next once pork reaches 160 degrees it kills all bacteria and since I am shooting for pulled pork with an internal of 200 degrees I should be fine.  Once again if I am wrong someone correct me please.

devo

Here is a good read on stall.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/physicist-cracks-bbq-mystery_b_987719.html

Try taking your meat prob and placing it someplace else in the meat to see if you are actually at 140 for so long.

KAG

Alright.  The first one is done. 

Fresh out of the smoker. ;D

Um Um Um.  Lunch is served and the rest will go in the beans.

The remaining butts are between 185 and 190.

muebe

That is a large load for the Bradley but looks like you got er done.

Nice bark and first one looks great ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

KAG

KAG

Finished with 3 hours to spare.  All are FTC'ed and ready to go.

northof60girl