couple questions

Started by wolverines, March 09, 2012, 04:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolverines

Is it better to purchase a dual proble PID or just a single. Say I just smoke ribs and don't need the meat probe.  What do you do with it?

How hard is it to clean your smoker?  Do you just wipe it out? Does the smoke stain the inside and if so, do you just let it stain it?

If most of you have the 4 rack smokers, why do you upgrade the heating elemnts and the fans? Are the ones included that bad?

Thanks,

BP

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: wolverines on March 09, 2012, 04:26:06 AM
Is it better to purchase a dual proble PID or just a single. Say I just smoke ribs and don't need the meat probe.  What do you do with it?

How hard is it to clean your smoker?  Do you just wipe it out? Does the smoke stain the inside and if so, do you just let it stain it?

If most of you have the 4 rack smokers, why do you upgrade the heating elemnts and the fans? Are the ones included that bad?

Thanks,

BP

If you like to have a temp probe for the meat then go duel, if not single.

Try not to clean the inside of the smoker. Just clean the racks, v-tray water bowl. Using some sort of cleaner for the inside should you want to is your call. The more smoke and crust build up the better the smoke.

Heater upgrade is just personal preference.

TedEbear

The dual probe gives you more options for controlling things.  I have the single probe PID $45 version because all I wanted it for is to give me better temp control.

To clean the Bradley chamber walls many owners wad up a couple of sheets of newspaper and wipe it off.  No need to spray it down with oven cleaner or something else and try to get it sparkling clean.

I have the 4 rack.  I added a second element to help it get up to the desired cooking temp faster.  With my single 500W it would take 45-60 minutes to reach 225*F.  Now it does it in about 8 minutes.  Heat recovery times are greatly reduced as well.

There is no fan with the Bradley.  Those who have added one do it for better heat dissipation so they don't have to rotate the racks during a cooking session.

dman4505

Only thing that gets cleaned in mine are the racks and the v-tray.
Crust on the walls adds character.
Water bowl gets rinsed out unless I forget to do it after a smoke and it sits in the smoker for a day or two.

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

wolverines

Does anyone have any pictures of their element and fan upgrades? I am wanting to purchase a smoker but want to make sure I know what I am getting into or what it entails as far as upgrading. I don't want to be unhappy with my purchase or wish I bought something else.

Is adding an additional element and fan hard to do and is it expensive?  45 minutes to wait for the smoker to heat up is terrible in my opion.

Thanks again for everyone's help.  I am getting closer to purchasing one!

mikecorn.1

I've never cleaned the inside of the smoker. Just the v tray and racks. Ditto on the dual and single probe PID info.
My experience with the fan mod is not all what other members are getting. I still have 25 to 30 difference from bottom to top. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: wolverines on March 09, 2012, 06:42:27 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of their element and fan upgrades? I am wanting to purchase a smoker but want to make sure I know what I am getting into or what it entails as far as upgrading. I don't want to be unhappy with my purchase or wish I bought something else.

Is adding an additional element and fan hard to do and is it expensive?  45 minutes to wait for the smoker to heat up is terrible in my opinion.

Thanks again for everyone's help.  I am getting closer to purchasing one!

If you are concerned about your warranty, then you should hold off from the element and fan mods until after one year. Here are links to the modifications:

Additional Element - DBS

Additional Heating Element - OBS/Optional On/Off Switch

Adding A Second In-Line Fuse and Sensor
This will make it to the Recipe site one of these days.  :)

Circulation Fan

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)