4 Rack Digital -or- Original and Auber PID?

Started by bostonsmoker, March 09, 2012, 05:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bostonsmoker

I just received the 4 rack DBS. During the seasoning smoke, I used a food thermometer to measure internal temperature of the smoker. I was upset to see the significant heat fluctuations - from 140-200 degrees. I purchased the digital hoping that it would maintain a steady temperature (even if inaccurate temperature), and was willing to pay the extra $130 for that control.
Am I better off returning the DBS and getting the original and an Auber PID?
Is there any value to the DBS over the original if I still get an Auber PID?
Am I simply going overboard with this? I'm only cooking for family and friends, NOT competitions.
Thank you for any information!

mikecorn.1

If your saying you have 60 degree swings I would say that is not normal. I never had anything that bad. I have mine on right now and
It's holding steady at 225 (with a PID.) i have a dbs4. If you are able to return it I would save $$ and
Get a PID with the obs. IMHO
Since you are bypassing the oven controls on the dbs with the PID, you essentially have on obs with a PID. :)  Good luck partner!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

bostonsmoker

great. thank you. which pid do you use? i have heard that the auber can be complicated.

Tater

I bought the OBS last October with the intention of getting a PID which arrived in the mail yesterday.  By the way, I ordered it on Tuesday and got it on Thursday and I live in Montana.  Very fast service.  I got the notification that it had shipped 1 hour after I placed my order.

I bought the dual probe model.  I'm here to tell you that the manual is a real mind bender at first but after a little hard studying it came clear.   It seems complicated but that's because it does quite a lot.  If you get jammed up there are lots of folks here that can help you out.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: ekarof on March 09, 2012, 08:12:37 AM
great. thank you. which pid do you use? i have heard that the auber can be complicated.

I have the dual probe but you can get the single for a lil less.
As far as complicated, yes, when you first try it, at least for me. But just ask and you will get plenty of help. There is also a good thread here with pics that will walk you right thru it. I even printed it out and keep it as refference. I was sent to me by someone, cant remember who.
Also, Muebe send me a step by step guide with pics on how to auto tune. It is easy, easy, when you have something to look at. Thanks MUEBE!
Mike

larryk

I'm going thru the same dilemma but I haven't bought yet.  I was debating on getting the BS611(manual with stainless interior), BT1S1 (manual, aluminum interior) or the 4rack digital.

A friend of mine found a PID kit (not pre-built) for about $35. He is quite happy with it. I don't mind putting the PID together. I can't decide whether the aluminum one has any downside. It certainly can be had for a pretty good price.

Any thoughts on that?

TedEbear

Quote from: larryk on March 12, 2012, 07:49:33 PM

A friend of mine found a PID kit (not pre-built) for about $35. He is quite happy with it. I don't mind putting the PID together. I can't decide whether the aluminum one has any downside. It certainly can be had for a pretty good price.

I'd like to see what a $35 kit looks like and what all comes with it.  I bought an Auber PID controller for $45 that installs in the smoke generator box.  However, you still have to buy the thermocouple, SSR and a few odds and ends.  The total price is around $70.  I can't believe you can get a complete PID controller and everything needed to make it work for $35.

larryk

larryk

TedEBear....

I have a question about the PID you put together. Does it lack any features that the one Auber makes specifically for the Bradley has? If you had it to do over would you buy the single or dual that everyone mentions?

TedEbear

The Auber dual probe also controls the smoke generator, I believe.  It might have additional features. 

All I wanted for mine was a better way to control the temps.  When I was doing an overnight pork shoulder the outdoor temp would change and I had to keep messing with the slider to keep the chamber close to what I wanted. The PID controller that I installed took care of that problem automatically and it maintains the setpoint to within 2 degrees or so.

I'd like to see the results of anyone who has done a long-term test on that $40 eBay controller.  It would be a great deal if it is a reliable product.

larryk

I guess I had not read close enough to see that the dual controller the smoker. I thought one probe was for the box temp and the other for the meat temp...and if that was the case, I was wondering why so many folks were also buying the Maverick. That seems redundant. 

Toker

Maverick for going away from your smoker in peace. The pid does not have a remote.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: larryk on March 14, 2012, 01:36:00 PM
I guess I had not read close enough to see that the dual controller the smoker. I thought one probe was for the box temp and the other for the meat temp...and if that was the case, I was wondering why so many folks were also buying the Maverick. That seems redundant.
To add to Toker's post, you can also monitor more than one item. You can set high and low alarms on the maverick to alert you of something going wrong. Example, I was making an all nighter butt in my Traeger. I set the low alarm for a specific temp. Sometime in the middle of the night, the pellets stopped feeding even though there were still some in the hopper. The temp started dropping and when it hit the set low temp, I got an alarm on my receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Toker

Mike, did you know the pid has it too. Hi and low alarm. Just press the 188 menu to get it.