Temp Control

Started by wolverines, March 11, 2012, 01:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolverines

I have been on the forums for a couple of weeks now trying to absorb as much info as I can. Everyone on here has been very nice and helpful.

I was thinking of getting a DBS but after reading the forums and to a lot of suggestions am leaning more towards the OBS with a PID.

Why do you think that they make the DBS if they know that they have as big of temp fluctuations that they do? Why wouldn't they put a better controller in their unit instead of us having to buy an after market PID to get better temp control?

Thanks,

BP

mikecorn.1

Many folks here use their DBS and obs as is. Myself the temp swings never bothered me. I only got it cause I started making stix and my buddy at work started giving home made venison and pork sausage and it's nice to have the tight temp control and ramp up feature so they don't fat out.
As for not having one built in, IMHO is probably to keep cost down. Since the smoker works than it your option to buy an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

viper125

No need for butts , or big hunks of meat really. But for sausage i feel being able to hold a +or - 1 -2degrees is. It's the reason I bought my OBS and pid in the first place. I've used all types of smokers but none can do the things I do with the OBS.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

wolverines

As of right now, I just want to smoke ribs, pulled pork and brisket. I'm not saying that I won't expand my horizons later. However, Bradley knows that there are a lot of people who buy their smokers for sausage as well as other meats. I just think that if they wanted to make the digital version, they would have made them with better temp control. No reason why they couldn't charge more money for that version and still keep the OBS.

I guess my gut tells me to get the OBS with the PID but I am a little intimidated by setting it up and using it.  The DBS just  seems more "user friendly".

mikecorn.1

Quote from: wolverines on March 12, 2012, 04:54:18 AM
As of right now, I just want to smoke ribs, pulled pork and brisket. I'm not saying that I won't expand my horizons later. However, Bradley knows that there are a lot of people who buy their smokers for sausage as well as other meats. I just think that if they wanted to make the digital version, they would have made them with better temp control. No reason why they couldn't charge more money for that version and still keep the OBS.

I guess my gut tells me to get the OBS with the PID but I am a little intimidated by setting it up and using it.  The DBS just  seems more "user friendly".
The DBS is easy turn on SG and set time. Turn on oven and set time and temp. (digital display)
I think the obs you have to play with till you get to desired temp. Have no clue how the SG works. That's where the PID comes to play. Plus it's not really a modification per say. 

Mike

wolverines

So do you think with no more than what I want to do that the DBS would be good for me? I've smoked lots of ribs but only a few butts and no briskets. I really like smoking but hate the time involved with having to baby sit the smoke and temps.

I am wanting to get better at smoking butts and learn to smoke briskets.  That's why I want a Bradley smoker and came to this forum to get tips on how make better Q.

Thanks for the help!!

BP

mikecorn.1

For butts and briskits you can't go wrong.

Mike