Turkey Pastrami

Started by KyNola, March 11, 2012, 08:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Wasn't sure where to post this experiment so I thought the "Poultry" section was close enough.  Working on a turkey pastrami recipe.  If it's worth a darn I'll let you know.  If it sucks I'll delete this thread. :)  Bought a bone-in turkey breast.  Stripped the skin off of it and removed the meat from the bone.  The skin and the carcass went into a ziplock bag until tomorrow when we will make turkey stock.  The turkey breasts are in a brine for the next 3 days.  After that they will get a coating of my favorite pastrami rub and into the smoker.

We'll see where this goes.

mikecorn.1

What! That's it! No nothing! ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

KyNola

The brine is water, kosher salt, dark brown sugar, peppercorns, juniper berries(none of those available so I subbed rinsed capers) and red pepper flakes.

So there Mike! ;D

Ka Honu

When juniper berries are not available, use gin (really - about 1/2 teaspoon per berry).  If you don't like that idea, try equal parts crushed bay leaf and caraway seed (same 1/2 tsp/berry) or rosemary.  The gin works better.

KyNola

Quote from: Ka Honu on March 11, 2012, 10:32:39 PM
When juniper berries are not available, use gin (really - about 1/2 teaspoon per berry).  If you don't like that idea, try equal parts crushed bay leaf and caraway seed (same 1/2 tsp/berry) or rosemary.  The gin works better.
Thanks Paul but I had no gin either.  Gin makes me really sick so we never have any in the house.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: KyNola on March 11, 2012, 10:11:55 PM
The brine is water, kosher salt, dark brown sugar, peppercorns, juniper berries(none of those available so I subbed rinsed capers) and red pepper flakes.

So there Mike! ;D
;D :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

ghost9mm

I'll just sit back and watch this unfold Larry, will be watching for the results... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Ka Honu

Quote from: KyNola on March 12, 2012, 05:08:13 AM... so we never have any in the house.

I drink gin only rarely and never drink bourbon but keep some of both around for cooking  I don't know why I think that's important enough to post but it seemed to be when I started typing.  Guess I better go have some coffee.

SiFumar

I didn't think capers were like juniper berrys...wow learn something new every day/

smoke em if you got em

Interesting... I've been thinking of doing this. Sams club sells some turkey pastrami and everybody around here really likes it.  After a couple of successful beef pastrami's my confidence is pretty high, so I 'm going to give this a shot.

This is the first of many questions I have. Why did you decide to go with a brine rather than a dry cure?

Mike
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

Ka Honu

Quote from: SiFumar on March 12, 2012, 04:18:17 PMI didn't think capers were like juniper berrys...

Other than their similar size, they're not.

KyNola

Quote from: smoke em if you got em on March 12, 2012, 06:06:55 PM
This is the first of many questions I have. Why did you decide to go with a brine rather than a dry cure?
Mike
Sorry Mike, I didn't see your question until today.  I went with a brine because the recipe I am using said to go with a brine.  Also, when a beef brisket is "corned" it is typically done in a brine as well.  There is no cure #1 in the brine of this turkey pastrami.  Once brined for 3 days a dry pastrami Rub was applied and left in the frig for 2 days.  Smoked the turkey breasts today.  Wrapped and back in the frig for at least a day to let the smoke level out before I slice it.

Habanero Smoker

You can use either a dry or a wet brine. When I make turkey pastrami I generally don't go with a cure, but will add a cure when other family members want it that way.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smoke em if you got em

QuoteSorry Mike, I didn't see your question until today.

It's OK I've been busy at work and haven't been checking in much. Is your recipe posted on here anywhere? Any pictures?

QuoteYou can use either a dry or a wet brine. When I make turkey pastrami I generally don't go with a cure

Do you have a recipe for the dry "cure"? Not sure what to call it if there's no cure in it.
Thanks
Mike
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

KyNola

Mike, here the recipe for the brine courtesy of Guy Fieri.
For 5 pounds turkey breast:

3 cups water
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup crushed juniper berries
1/4 cup freshly cracked black peppercorns
8 cloves of fresh garlic, smashed
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Combine the above ingredients Minus the turkey and heat until salt and sugar is dissolved.  Let cool completely and then put turkey breasts in ziplock bag and pour brine into bag.  In the frig for 2-3 days.  I went 3 days.  On the third day remove the turkey breasts from the ziplock bag and rinse.  Pat dry.  Use your favorite pastrami rub.  Habs has a great one you can make from scratch but I'm lazy so I use Uncle Louie's Pastrami Rub.  Wrap in plastic wrap and into the frig for 2 days.  After the 2 days unwrap and into the smoker to an IT of 155.

Habs will be along to tell you about the dry or wet brine.  That's his expertise.

Remember Mike, this is an experiment for me.  I have never tried this before so let's see how it goes.