Turkey Pastrami

Started by KyNola, March 11, 2012, 08:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoke em if you got em

QuoteRemember Mike, this is an experiment for me.  I have never tried this before so let's see how it goes.

Understood. I'll wait to see how yours turns out. I think I'm probably gonna go with a dry cure first since I'm really happy with the results I get on beef pastrami.  But really want to see your results. Did you take any pictures?

Where did you get the Uncle Louie's. I have used Habs's rub and really like it, but I'm always willing to try new stuff.

OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

Habanero Smoker

Poultry is one of the meats I prefer to use a wet brine over a dry. For beef,  and pork if the cuts are not that thick I will go with a dry cure. If you want to use a dry cure you can. The curing time will probably be around 3 days.

I use a little more salt and only brine/cure for 2 days.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Quote from: smoke em if you got em on March 16, 2012, 08:30:46 PM
QuoteRemember Mike, this is an experiment for me.  I have never tried this before so let's see how it goes.
Understood. I'll wait to see how yours turns out. I think I'm probably gonna go with a dry cure first since I'm really happy with the results I get on beef pastrami.  But really want to see your results. Did you take any pictures?
Where did you get the Uncle Louie's. I have used Habs's rub and really like it, but I'm always willing to try new stuff.
I haven't made pics yet as there really wasn't much to see.  I'll take some pics of the finished product prior to slicing and sliced up.

You can buy Uncle Louie's Pastrami Rub here: http://www.americanspice.com/uncle-louies-pastrami-rub/   I really do like this stuff.  Great flavor and aroma.

KyNola

UPDATE: Had a small piece of the turkey breast that separated itself from the main breast piece but was plenty large enough that I wouldn't throw it away so it went through the whole process.  Perfect taste tester size so today we taste tested it.

It's good.  It's really good.

STC, this one is calling your name.  I mean it's REALLY calling your name!

Habs, thank you for all of your expertise when it comes to pastrami.   

Habanero Smoker

You are welcome. My turkey pastrami recipes are somewhat similiar to Guy's.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

irish_smoker

I am anxious to see how this turns out, I have made many beef pastrami's over the years but never ventured into the turkey pastrami realm.  Like someone else mentioned earlier, I've bought the turkey pastrami that Sam's sells in their deli section that I really like but I've got a buddy that has made turkey pastrami a couple of different times and I have never been impressed with his results (he's got some propane smoker).

Kynola, if yours turns out good, I will definitely have to give it a try.....and show some pictures to my friend to show him what turkey pastrami is supposed to look like!

KyNola

This turned out really good.  I didn't take pics as it was simply turkey breast halves that were an orangey/brownish color from the Uncle Louie's Pastrami Rub that I used.  Nothing special to note in a pic.

I will definitely make this again although I will probably only brine 2 days as this batch turned out just a little bit salty.  If you like beef pastrami you will like turkey pastrami.  The brine and smoke did not change the color nor texture of the turkey meat once it was cooked.  Nice firm moist meat with a zing to it from the red pepper flakes in the brine and the pastrami rub.

irish_smoker

Just order some Uncle Louie's Pastrami Rub, I've always just mixed up my own or used Habs beef pastramit rub.  Will try the Louie's on some turkey next week.

Habanero Smoker

I've made it a few times. Here is a link to how I make mine (sometimes I do take pictures)  :). There are two recipes, one recipe includes cure #1. It is very similar to Guy's. Once  cured you can apply any spicy rub of your choice. Just make sure the spices are compatible with turkey.

Turkey Pastrami

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SiFumar

Sounds great...will be trying!  Thanks for link Habs.