Salt Lick Clone

Started by Consooger, March 12, 2012, 03:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

I have read numerous posts about this stuff and looking at the ingredietns it looks SOOOOOOOO SIMPLE to make. Is this stuff legit? IM thinking about making a batch of it and using it on my next brisket.

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

KyNola

Yep, it's legit.  Adds a nice "bite" to what ever you use it on.  Great on a pork butt.

FLBentRider

I use it as a go-to rub for a lot of stuff.

In the original ratios, it has some kick.

I also use it as a base, and add other ingredients to it.

Make up a small batch and taste for yourself.

The beauty of the ratios is that you can use Tablespoons, 1/2 cup, quarts.... whatever.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 12, 2012, 06:52:39 AM
The beauty of the ratios is that you can use Tablespoons, 1/2 cup, quarts....

...... pounds.     ;D

FLBentRider

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 12, 2012, 07:10:40 AM
The beauty of the ratios is that you can use Tablespoons, 1/2 cup, quarts....

...... pounds.     ;D

I was going to mention pounds, but we were measuring in volume, not weight.... So I'm not sure how that would come out. I'm sure 1 T of Salt weighs more than 1T of Cayenne, which would up the heat significantly!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Consooger

I use it as a go-to rub for a lot of stuff.

In the original ratios, it has some kick.

I also use it as a base, and add other ingredients to it.

Make up a small batch and taste for yourself.

The beauty of the ratios is that you can use Tablespoons, 1/2 cup, quarts.... whatever.

The problem is that for my "better half" she really doesn't like kick, but I LOVE it, I don't wanna use it all on one thing and get stuck eating it all on my own! HAHAHAHA I'll give it a whirl and make up a small batch tomorrow. Can I get a good taste of it lets say on a piece of chicken or turkey breast as a harmless quick sample instead of a butt or brisket?

By the way did I already mention I LOVE IT HERE!?!?!?!?!?!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

squirtthecat

Oh yeah, mix up a couple tablespoons and rub down some chicken parts if you want a really good taste of it.     I use it on larger cuts to reduce the 'heat' per bite.