recommended pucks?

Started by devosmoker, June 02, 2004, 01:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devosmoker

Well I have been "ghosting" this site since deciding to get the bradley and it has been a wealth of info - I have taken the plung - I took delivery today - I got the recommeded S&S book a while ago (great read), I ordered my bubba pucks on friday and now I have joined the forum.
My question is I am looking at doing Ribs and Chicken and I would like anyones opinion on the best flavor of pucks to use for each.
Thanx
[:)]

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the time he killed himself.

Fuzzybear

Welcome!

I use hickory/apple/mesquite on yardbirds - but again, its a preference thing and depends on my mood for seasonings/rubs or marinades.[:p]

Ribs?  I'll have to defer on that one to others who have the experience with them that I don't!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

Welcome Devosmoker,
I use hickory with ribs with excellent results.I know some like maple, like Fuzzy said, It's a matter of preference.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

msiler

In my opinion you will find it very difficult to oversmoke with the Bradley. I think that in another post it was mentioned (chez???) that the pucks are made up of 40% alder 60% labeled flavor (correct me if wrong) this in effect gives a milder smoke and makes our jobs even more foolproof.

Devosmoker,

Welcome to the site. With all the great folks here and the S&S book you have all the resources to produce good Q. Perfecting it for your tastes is the fun/best part. But you will soon have to write off eating commercial Q it just won't be as good.

When in doubt smoke it.

ChefJeff

Welcome Devo= I use maple,cherry,apple,for birds.Hickory or oak for ribs sometimes mixing in maple .In other words GO For It! Smoke it-eat it.[:p][:D][:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

MallardWacker

Devo....Welcome,

Hay go with us rebelious type.  I was a hickory munger for a long while.  Being from Arkansas, if you don't smoke with hickory you can do something different and like use hickory.  I have canned the hickory, (sorry to all the hickory lovers) and now have a new love affair with maple and pecan.  I mainly just smoke pork with a few yard birds on the side.  Really try some.  What ever you do have fun.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

devosmoker

Thanx to all for the input -Have the next couple days off so will be seasoning tonight or Thrusday morn and if all goes well doing a "yardbird" in the afternoon. The guy at the bbq shop really liked the birds with pecan so I'll be tryin that 1st.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the time he killed himself.

PaulMarquis

I have tried them all and for my taste pecan is king. I have used it on all kinds of meat I haven't done any fish with it, and it has the best flavor IMHO. Pecan is a relative of the Hickory but it seems to have a sweeter smoke. I have tried all of the Bradley pucks except for mesquitte (I'll just cut some pucks out of cardboard if i want to try that taste) and there is a much more distinct flavor between the different types thanI ever got with a pit type smoler burning wood. Maple on a bradley is excellent but in a pit even throttled all the way back it burns too hot to get much smoke flavor at all out of it. My favorite in the  pit is apple but the apple pucks don't have the same taste, though they are great on yardbirds. I still like cooking on the pit once in a while when i really have the time to watch it and I am doinng a large batch. And I miss that red smoke ring and even the occasional burnt rib flavor. But the convenience and range of flavors available on the Bradley can't be beat. Try them all.