Which Bradley to buy for the Layman

Started by BigJoe, March 15, 2012, 04:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJoe

I think that I am going to be purchasing a Bradley.  It seems that there is general concensus that the original Bradley along  with an Auber PID is the way to go get consistent temperature.

I am kind of surprised that Bradley does not offer this combination for their customers.  Any thoughts or insite would be appreciated.  It does get sort of confusting for the layman of smokers.

Thanks,

Big Joe

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard.
You get consistent temps with with both and the PID. Difference is the price. Since you are bypassing the bradley digital controls with The PID, then there is really no reason to go with it.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Keymaster

I got the six rack because i planned on hanging sausage sticks and wanted the extra room. People make great sausage with four racks but it gets the sausage close to the element and sometimes burns the tips. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

beefmann

Joe,

welcome aboard and enjoy there is a lot of good information here, though first things first

when deciding  on which bradley to look at , 4 rack or a  6  rack, this is a  question of needing  the space, if you are going to be doing  sausage  in  long casings or a  lot of  meat at  once such as 50 lbs or more at  once then you  need the  6 rack, if you will be doing 40 lbs of meat or  less then the 4 rack is your best choice. Make this decision first and the rest will be easy.

as for the PID, it is a great item to have and been  running one for years and keeps the temp with in a couple  of degrees of set temp. So any smoker you  buy , buy a  pid along  with it.

also consider installing a fan kit to help maintain temps through out the box, I  run a blower in mine  forcing the air over the  heating elements and above the v tray.

other  items to purchase are

1) maverick et 732 thermometer
2) frog mats ( mats to cover the racks making it easier to clean)
3) high temp rubber gloves to handle the racks

Hope this helps and is not overwelming

BigJoe

Salmonsmoker

Welcome aboard Big Joe. I also bought a six rack for the height and capacity. I use an Auber single probe pid, so I'm by passing the digital control.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.