Kummok Smoked Salmon – my first attempt

Started by fishrman, March 15, 2012, 08:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishrman

Pulled out the salmon for a morning taste.  I'd give it a 3 out of 5 as it is drier than I like and it is, as I mentioned earlier, saltier than I prefer.  It has a really solid feel to it, much like steak.   My wife sampled as well and gave it an "OK" which, in her lingo, is a bit short of a thumbs up.  I'll give it another day to mellow out in the fridge as SalmonSmoker recommends.  Meanwhile, any good recipes for slightly salty smoked salmon (SSSS)?  I know it will make a good spread mixed with cream cheese but would like to try a few more ways of using it in dishes.

Keymaster

Looks perfect!!! I like to use Dales Seasoning in place of the soy sauce with Kummoks recipe.

viper125

Really good in a sandwich spread of Miracle whip,relish and chopped onions. Chopped jalapenos to give it kick if you like.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

JZ

I am really surprised that it is salty - I have done several batches of salmon following Kummoks recipe and  never found it salty at all. It's probably because I could not find a source for the large container of soya and just substituted a bottle of teriyaki for the soya. Maybe give that a try next time around. Mine turns out not salty and a little sweet.

Like Viper said it will make great sandwichs. The only way we eat salmon is smoked or canned then mix with miracle whip, some sliced green oinions, celery and a little dill pickle - on a sammie and all is good.

pmmpete

Another reason to leave smoked fish uncovered in the refrigerator for 24 hours is that if you ziplock bag or vacuum pack smoked fish right after you take it out of the smoker, a lot of moisture may condense on the bag when the fish cools down in the refrigerator or the freezer.  If you leave it in the refrigerator on a plate or a rack for 24 hours, it will cool down and dry off and be ready for packaging and freezing.

pikeman_95

I have done multiple batches of salmon and Mackinaw trout with Kummoks recipe but I only have used Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki. I have never found it to salty even when doing thin pieces. I think using Soy sauce is asking for more salt then you want. We use the Soy Vey for steaks and stirfry and it always turns out great.

Kirby

Salmonsmoker

I have tried Kummok's recipe as specified to see how it compared to mine. I found the flavor good but too salty also. If I use it again I will reduce the brine time by 4 hrs..
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Smokeville

Hi Fishrman;

I've used Kummock's recipe on salmon and even trout (which is a lot thinner) and I brine overnight. In the morning, after I dump each pail into the sink, I take each piece out one-by-one and run cold water over it while I "scrub" it a little with my fingers, including the skin. It takes a little bit of time.... This seems to get rid of more salty brine residue than just cold running water and I have never had the salmon or trout come out salty at all.

Regrads, Rich

Love your photos!