what piece of beef should i use to make jerky

Started by Rad Rich, March 07, 2012, 03:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishrman

I like to use London Broil when I can get it on sale (recently found a buy one get one at Safeway and got 47 lbs!).  Spoke to the butcher there and he said that cut comes from the bottom round.  This is a good lean cut.  Have 8 racks in smoking as we speak.

4given

Quote from: rigstar on March 08, 2012, 10:23:10 AM
here's a link to a few recipes ;D from smokesome

forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=27168.0

Cool! Thanks!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

standles

Quote from: fishrman on March 08, 2012, 11:26:24 AM
I like to use London Broil when I can get it on sale (recently found a buy one get one at Safeway and got 47 lbs!).  Spoke to the butcher there and he said that cut comes from the bottom round.  This is a good lean cut.  Have 8 racks in smoking as we speak.

X2

Keymaster

Quote from: fishrman on March 08, 2012, 11:26:24 AM
Thats what i used last time and it was excellent!!!

Rad Rich

have any of you guys ever tried the mixes at Cabellas?  I bought the Cabellas sweet hot mix and cure comes with enough mix and cure for 15 pounds of meat( in 5 pound increments) for 6.99. It's delicious and nutritious
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

standles

No but I did try my first two batches with stuff from Bass Pro.    It was pretty good but I decided if I was going to all the other trouble I would just make my own mixes.  That way I can try endless varieties and everything is fresher.

Steven

JT-MO

I don't really look for the type of meat, anything that isn't fatty. Then I slice it with the grain. Just my preference.

viper125

Me either! If it's got little fat or preferably none. It's Jerky capable. In fact been a while since i made some muscle jerky. See rulis has beef  Block Rump Roast for 2.99. Was going to buy some for burger anyway. Maybe i'll buy some for jerky too while i'm there. To me jerky and burger is any hunk of beef available for a good price. And you can't beat home made burger. I grind some I have to add a small amount of fat too. Try buying it that lean in the store. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

4given

Quote from: rigstar on March 08, 2012, 10:23:10 AM
here's a link to a few recipes ;D from smokesome

forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=27168.0

Thanks!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100