DBS4 Advance button odd behaviour

Started by b0dhi, March 17, 2012, 08:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0dhi

Hey all...

My DBS4 is not working exactly right these days.  I've noticed when I press the advance button, it sometimes doesn't do anything at all.  I can push it 2 to 3 times before it decides to engage and actually advance the next puck.   

I also noticed that when I rely on the timer to advance the pucks, it sometimes doesn't do anything either. If I'm not constantly watching when the timer triggers, it screws up my  smoke time as the puck on the burner burns for extra long....

has anyone encountered this before?   I've tried opening up the generator and cleaning everything.. it still does it...

thanks!
Bodhi

mikecorn.1

Quote from: b0dhi on March 17, 2012, 08:51:25 AM
Hey all...

My DBS4 is not working exactly right these days.  I've noticed when I press the advance button, it sometimes doesn't do anything at all.  I can push it 2 to 3 times before it decides to engage and actually advance the next puck.   

I also noticed that when I rely on the timer to advance the pucks, it sometimes doesn't do anything either. If I'm not constantly watching when the timer triggers, it screws up my  smoke time as the puck on the burner burns for extra long....

has anyone encountered this before?   I've tried opening up the generator and cleaning everything.. it still does it...

thanks!
Bodhi

Look at these links
Not advancing at all

advancing using button but not every 20 minutes

Two days ago mine would not advance and it was due to the puck holder not being fully inserted.
Mike

b0dhi

Thanks Mike, I did see those links and I tried fiddling with the feeder tube alignment, since I noticed mine was a tiny bit off.. not sure this would cause this issue, as it sounds as if the motor doesn't even attempt to move when I push the button sometimes.

mikecorn.1

Have you checked the connections in the SG box? Maybe something came loose in there.
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Are you getting any "E" or "E1" errors?

When it the bisquette is suppose to automatically advance, do you hear the motor trying to cycle?

When you had the generator opened, the you make sure all wires were secured? Even if they looked attached, it is a good idea to physically check them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

b0dhi

No E or E1 errors...  When the puck tries to advance automatically, I can sometimes hear the motor trying to cycle..sometimes  I just hear it "click" and do nothing...

I think after this smoke test, I will open it up again and check the connections as you say...

b0dhi

oh, I also notice that when I have my bubba pucks on top of the stack or in the feed tube , I get the problem more on a consistent basis... taking them out and just using the wood bisquettes seem to work better for the auto feeder...  :-\

mikecorn.1

I noticed mine works a bit harder with 3 puck savers at the end. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

JZ

Hey bOdhi maybe you are having the same problem I had - check this out it might help you.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=27684.0

b0dhi

hmm.. interesting JZ!  I am going to pull it apart tomorrow and see.. Thanks for the info!

JZ

In the pic it looks obvious that there is some rubbing going on but when I took it apart it was hard to see. I think the camera flash highlighted it. So look carefully when you open yours up. What you are describing is very similar to what mine was doing.

Good luck.

viper125

Only problem ive had is when i first got mine. I would push button to far and it would get stuck. Needs to be longer. So i just watch what im doing and all is well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

There is another fix to the problem JZ had. It is mentioned at the bottom of the below link:
Why won't my bisquettes advance....

It is beginning to sound like you have a stripped gear in the motor, or the motor is going bad. Brian posted this test for it, I need to move that over to the recipe site.

To test to see if you motor is bad, a clicking sound may indicate a stripped gear. A weak motor can be easily tested. First remove the feeder tube. Make sure the shuttle that pushes the bisquettes through is fully back. Next stick your index finger in the hole until it come into contact with the drive guide. Next push the Advance Button, when the shuttle comes in contact with your finger you should fill a firm pressure before it retracts. If you feel a very light pressure before it retracts you need a new motor. Three bubba pucks, generally doesn't make a good motor work any harder, so that is another sign it my be the motor.

Brian has assured us, no one has ever lost a finger doing this test.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

b0dhi

so this afternoon, I did some more investigating..

The feeder plate doesn't have any wear on it's side as did JZ's. 

I checked the connections and they seem okay to me.

I did the finger test for the motor, and well, I'm still not sure how "strong" it's supposed to feel, but it did feel like it had a fair bit of power behind it before it retracted..

so I did more testing.. I just ran my bubba pucks constantly through it trying to see/hear any more clues..  I now confirmed that when the advance button is pushed, I just hear it beep , but no clicking.. the motor doesn't appear to wake and retract the feeder plate at all.  I can push it 2 to 3 times before it finally engages...

Habanero Smoker

It may be your display panel. Unplug the the display cable, and reattach it on both ends, and also look for loose wiring.. If that doesn't work contact Bradley Tech.

Info. On the Display Panel

I
         don't
                   inhale.