Smokin' some cheese today!

Started by 4given, March 17, 2012, 03:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

Decided to try cold smoking some cheese today. I dont have a sold smoke attachment yet so I unplugged the smoker box and put a stainless steel pitcher full of ice on the bottom rack. I still had room for two racks of cheese. I also put ice in the puck bowl. Temps never got over 75 degrees in the smoke box. Outside temp was low 40's.  Smoked 'em for about two hours.

Worked great! Check the pix below!

Costco's finest..............

Cut up into cracker sized blocks.... remember Kraft "Cracker Barrel" cheese???

Into the smoker with the ice.......

Ice in the bowl too!

Close up.............

All done and wifey wrapping them up before I could get a good picture!  :o

I had a sample and it tasted pretty good. Let's see how they taste in a month or so!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

mikecorn.1

Nice!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Keymaster

Nicely Done!!! I almost forgot about my smoked cheese way back in the bottom of the fridge until I tried to push a big ole bowl of Brined Jerky back there for a overnight soak.

4given

Quote from: Keymaster on March 18, 2012, 08:56:13 AM
Nicely Done!!! I almost forgot about my smoked cheese way back in the bottom of the fridge until I tried to push a big ole bowl of Brined Jerky back there for a overnight soak.

Great find!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

yorkie smoker

Hi, all great looking cheese, i do french brie for four hours with apple, and it tastes great!! spread on crusty bread or water crackers or cream crackers.......just like to say for everyone who cold smokes, if your shuttle jams on your smoke generator, number 1 thing to do is strip & clean the generator (guide by the administrator on this forum) and then with no wood pucks in the generator, press advance, switch  off, when the shuttle has gone back, get in all nooks & cranny's with a good quality natural bristle paint brush, & make sure any sawdust is brushed away, then press advance, and stop with shuttle at the back with a brush lightly lubricate with Marge or butter, getting under the shuttle with the brush and all sides and edges. my Bradley smoke generator use to jam once or twice per hour, but now after a brush of butter or Marge (light) theirs no problem stacking the feeder and leaving it for hours. 
Yorkie smoker

ghost9mm

Well done and it will be well worth the month wait...it will be awesome...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

4given

Quote from: yorkie smoker on March 18, 2012, 02:43:26 PM
Hi, all great looking cheese, i do french brie for four hours with apple, and it tastes great!! spread on crusty bread or water crackers or cream crackers.......just like to say for everyone who cold smokes, if your shuttle jams on your smoke generator, number 1 thing to do is strip & clean the generator (guide by the administrator on this forum) and then with no wood pucks in the generator, press advance, switch  off, when the shuttle has gone back, get in all nooks & cranny's with a good quality natural bristle paint brush, & make sure any sawdust is brushed away, then press advance, and stop with shuttle at the back with a brush lightly lubricate with Marge or butter, getting under the shuttle with the brush and all sides and edges. my Bradley smoke generator use to jam once or twice per hour, but now after a brush of butter or Marge (light) theirs no problem stacking the feeder and leaving it for hours.

Thanks for the tips!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

4given

Quote from: ghost9mm on March 18, 2012, 03:01:35 PM
Well done and it will be well worth the month wait...it will be awesome...

I'm lookin forward to it!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

Wazzulu

Saw this and went out and got some Chedder and mozzarella and will be enjoying it shortly.

4given

Quote from: Wazzulu on March 18, 2012, 07:41:23 PM
Saw this and went out and got some Chedder and mozzarella and will be enjoying it shortly.

It will be good! I used hickory... what are you using?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

Wazzulu

Tried the special blend.  Turned out good.

Salmonsmoker

The back of my fridge is full of smoked cheese. I can see I'm not the only one thinking about brie to see how it turns out. I have one aging along with some gouda and mozarella. Running out of space! 
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.