Water Bowl

Started by larryk, March 21, 2012, 05:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryk

My first smoker, BS611, arrives tomorrow. Woohoo! Got the Maverick today.
I was talking to a guy at work (has a weber) about putting water and maybe juice in the water bowl to help with flavor and keep the meat from getting dry. He say it was a myth that the water bowl was to keep the meat moist. The main purpose for the water is to server as a heat sink. I've never heard that before! Maybe that's the case for a charcoal unit.

Do you need to keep water in the bowl for the duration of the smoke? So in the bradley, the same water that is putting moisture in the box is also for putting the spent puck out?

RossP

The water bowl is for the Bisquettes to drop into once they are pushed off the burner, the water puts them out. The water in the bowl also helps capture the grease that drips through the the hole in the smoke deflector. Leave your vent open and water in your bowl and alll will be good. I am sure more will pipe in any minute.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

JZ

Ka Honu

... and, yes, it also acts as a heat sink to some extent.  Many of us replace the Bradley-supplied drip pan with a 9x13 aluminum foil tray and fill it about halfway with hot water to perform all those functions.  Depending on what they're smoking, some also use another tray on the lowest rack to catch drippings and/or put some veggies and liquid in it for flavor.  Not so sure how much flavor gets to the meat from that but the (defatted) drippings are great for FTC, sauce, etc.

KyNola

Welcome to the forum Larryk.  Short answer is yeah, keep water in the water bowl. ;)

ghost9mm

Yep keep water in the bowl and I put ice in mine when cold smoking when the temps outside are very warm, you have to try and keep the temps down when cold smokin some of the softer cheese's...and meats too..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

bostonsmoker

ghost9mm (or others): what is the hottest it can be outside where you feel the ice will work to produce a good cold smoke?

Toker

When you put a probe and the temp inside the smoker indicate higher than 90F. No matter the outside temp.

bostonsmoker

Thx toker. My first batch of cold smoked salmon today. Was nervous abt how hot it was , but now we're in a cooling trend.

rcger

Definitely keep the bowl full of water.  I generally fill mine with boiling water.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!