Duck Breast

Started by Manx Kipper, June 03, 2004, 01:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manx Kipper

Does anyone know where I can get a recipie for smoked duck breast. I have in mind cold smoked, then finely sliced, to put in a salad. Any ideas?

whitetailfan

Sorry, I have no experience here.[:(]
If you have in mind to cold smoke the breast, I strongly recommend that you cure it first.  Trying searching the net for brine recipes and take it from there.  I have no idea what the shipping would be like, but I know that Hi Mountain produces a "poultry and game bird" pre-mix brine that I have been itching to try.[8D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Bassman

Manx,
I have had excellent success with turkey breasts. In fact I have 2 in the brine as we speak. I would imagine Duck breast would work the same way, just not take as long to reach internal temp. The method I used makes the meat excellent for on a salad, hot with mash potatos,or sliced thin for a sandwhich. Here's the link. Hope this helps.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=133

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> <b>...I have in mind cold smoked,</b> then finely sliced, to put in a salad. Any ideas?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ummm if you cold smoke it are you then going to bake it? Cold smoking is not cooking at all. If I was to cold smoke it for favor only I would not go more than two hours (6 pucks worth.) Then wrap in plastic to allow the flavor to go through-out, and then place in the freezer to get it cold as quickly as possible. Next I would place in in the frig. for a couple of days before I cook it.

Cold smoking of fowl IMO is somewhat scarey. The unit will create a little heat with just the smoke generator. Now if you live in the upper part of Canada then this heat would not be a problem. You live where I do and it is a big problem.

When I cold smoke pork steaks for the grill I only do it for one hour. Chill for a couple of days and then grill them.

Good luck!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

Manx, click here:

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=134

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Manx Kipper

Thanks for that everybody.
The one's I have seen are cured, like hams, then cold smoked. I have had them in restaurants, but want to try them at home.

MallardWacker

M K,

This may be a bit late but this one sounds great.  I appreciate it it if you ever find something that really works.

<font color="blue">Smoked Duck Breast

7 ea. 16 - 20 ounce duck breasts, skin on

Brine
1 cup Morton's Tenderquick
1-¼ c. brown sugar
1 gal. water
Mix first 3 ingredients and chill. Pour brine over duck breasts and refrigerate for 24 hours. Rinse breasts in cold water for 30 minutes. Pat dry. Place on racks in cooler overnight. Place in <s><font color="red">[}:)]Cookshack[}:)]</font id="red"></s> smoker.

Load smoker's wood box with apple wood. Smoke-cook at 160 degrees F for 3 hours 15 minutes. Remove from smoker and chill. Remove skin; make thin cuts on the bias. Place on sweet potato biscuit with jezebel sauce.

Jezebel Sauce
½ c. prepared horseradish
1 c. pineapple preserves
1 c. apple jelly
1 t. dry mustard
Drain horseradish well by pressing between layers of paper towels. Combine with remaining ingredients, mixing well. Cover and refrigerate. Serve over cream cheese with crackers. Also goes will with pork roast and pork tenderloin.</font id="blue">

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

ChefJeff

Did you say Cookshack Smoker?Shame on you-Baaad Duck man.LOL[:p][:p][:D][:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

MallardWacker

Jeff,

You found me out.  No need to worry, I have not joined the communist site.  Thank god I don't have to "weigh my wood".

Just a side note, I ussually try and strip referances to any items like that in anything I post.  That accidently slipped by.

I humbly ask the forum gods to forgive this slip of the Q.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Fuzzybear

Hmmmmmmmmm....1 duck breast for me; 1 for Chez; 1 for Chef; 1 for Olds...I think MW can work this out with a Bradley; Foodsaver and 1st class postage!!!  (If forgiveness is what he wants!)[}:)]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

ChefJeff

Bless him who asks forgiveness and shares the the Duck.LOL[:D][:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Thank god I don't have to "weigh my wood".<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Ummm, Errr, uhhh, what?[:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?