Smoker generator and smoker power

Started by larryk, March 24, 2012, 10:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryk

I was under the impression I could turn the power off to he smoke generator while leaving the smoker power on. That apparently is not the case. I was smoking a chicken and only wanted to smoke it for about 1.5 hours. Leaving the generator on burns the last wood to a crisp. I guess the only way around that is to get a couple bubba pucks. Is this correct?

Toker

You are right Larry. I have this one too (part of my 4 Bradley smokers collection) and that is the only negative point i have found about this model. Unless you have a pid, you can not turning it off and leave the element on. Because the circuit board is now located into the smoke generator. The tower itself, is almost like the dbs for what you want to do.

But the black one is working the way you just described because the circuit board is located into the tower. (That is the main improvement for this model)

Frank

mikecorn.1

So on the new model you have to have the SG on all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Toker

Yes unless you have a pid. Because to turn the element on, the smoke generator needs to be on and the minute it is on, the burner(puck burner not element)heat.  On the black, it was 2 different features cause the circuit board or slider bar was on the tower now it is into the smoke generator, that is what causing this problem.

just a smokin

OK i wonder if that is also what my problem was with my smoker(dbs6) just shutting off  ,meaning that my smoke generator  has to stay on .i had problems with everything just  shutting off several times .and i had tried everything , then all of a sudden it stayed on after a lot of tries .

thanks guys

bostonsmoker

i had an issue with that as well. the auber pid cures it - so now even i i do a smoke only, or a heat-only, i have the pid control.

larryk

Good to see there is no such thing as a dumb question. I almost didn't ask! Since the dial had a distinctive click when turning off...and there was an on/off for the puck heater, I thought for sure they were separate. Just have to get that pid a little sooner than I thought.

Toker

You can run the smoke generator alone but can not run the element alone.