Rubbery smoked chicken :(

Started by bostonsmoker, March 26, 2012, 12:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bostonsmoker

Dry rub for 6 hours, then 150 degrees for 1.75 hours w/ smoke, then finished off at 400 on a grill until 180 degrees internal temp. Came out rubbery. Did i smoke for too long? thx for any info.

mikecorn.1

I might be wrong but cooking yard bird in that low of a temp is not good. I do mine at 225'.  I want to say that just to keep food warm at safe temp after its  cooked, is 180'.
Hopefully someone can clarify this. :)

On the rubbery skin, I've never had a problem getting the skin crisp on bird parts. I hit it hard on my SRG and crisps up nice. I've never tried a whole smoked bird at once. At least smoking then trying to crisp the skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

hal4uk

Like Mike said, you need to raise the cabinet temp.
At least to 225.

You did whole chicken?  Or parts?
With parts, if you flip now and then (give plenty of skin-side-down time) that will help quite a bit.
Still might want to finish on a hot grill, SRG, or whatever...

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

muebe

You want to go at least 225F...250F is more ideal. Vent fully open. 2 hours smoke and then the oven finish. That should get you more crispy skin.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

TedEbear

Quote from: bostonsmoker on March 26, 2012, 12:22:20 PM
Dry rub for 6 hours, then 150 degrees for 1.75 hours w/ smoke, then finished off at 400 on a grill until 180 degrees internal temp. Came out rubbery. Did i smoke for too long? thx for any info.

Cooked at too low of a temp in the smoker.  Others have already posted what to set the Bradley at.  I set mine at 230*F when cooking turkey.  I leave it in the Bradley until internal temp reaches 140*F and then transfer it to my Big Easy or oven to crisp the skin.  The USDA recommends an internal temp of at least 165*F for poultry.

bostonsmoker

Thx all! Will try again this weekend.