Another Maverick ET-732 thread.

Started by timberbeast7, March 28, 2012, 10:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberbeast7

I just got my OBS and now I'm getting ready to order my thermometer.  Sounds like the Maverick et-732 is the favorite around here and I found it on Yard & Pool.  Does the thermometer come with probes or do I have to order them as well? 

Also, I'm thinking about getting a dual probe PID. But, with the Maverick 732 to monitor the IT and the smoker temp I should be able to manually do everything the PID will do... right?  I'm new to smoking and I'd kinda like to learn the ins and outs before I let a "computer" do everything for me... or try to tell the "computer" how to do it.

Bear1968

Hi Timber!

Yes the Maverick will come with the probes as well as batteries. I threw the batteries out and replaced them with some ones that I know are reliable.
I am not sure how I ever survived without my Maverick!   :P

*Edit to link to manufacturer http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et732.htm
UBC Local 268

mikecorn.1

Quote from: timberbeast7 on March 28, 2012, 10:24:33 AM
I just got my OBS and now I'm getting ready to order my thermometer.  Sounds like the Maverick et-732 is the favorite around here and I found it on Yard & Pool.  Does the thermometer come with probes or do I have to order them as well? 

Also, I'm thinking about getting a dual probe PID. But, with the Maverick 732 to monitor the IT and the smoker temp I should be able to manually do everything the PID will do... right?  I'm new to smoking and I'd kinda like to learn the ins and outs before I let a "computer" do everything for me... or try to tell the "computer" how to do it.
The Maverick comes with an oven and food probe.
You can manually change the temps on the bradley but you will not be able to hold them temps at 1 to 2 degree of what you are setting the temp to. The pid will keep the temps where you set them. Also, if you ever add a second element to the smoker or a bigger 900w element, the pid can be set to autotune to relearn the cooling and heating patterns of the the new element. You will not be able to control the temps with just the Bradley controls. (if mod is done on it)
Mike

timberbeast7

Thanks for the fast replies!

I figure once I get the PID I'll let it do all the work... Until then though, with just the Maverick 732 and the manual temp control on the smoker, I should be able to keep the temp under control enough to turn out some top notch sausage, right?

TedEbear

Quote from: timberbeast7 on March 28, 2012, 10:50:04 AM
I figure once I get the PID I'll let it do all the work... Until then though, with just the Maverick 732 and the manual temp control on the smoker, I should be able to keep the temp under control enough to turn out some top notch sausage, right?

I've never smoked sausage but I imagine it would do an adequate job. 

Also, you can add a PID controller to your OBS for less than 1/2 the cost of the plug-n-play version, if you like to tinker.  There are how-to articles on doing it.  It only controls the temp, but it will keep it to within 2 degrees or so of the setpoint, no matter how much the outdoor temp changes during the cooking session.

Toker

For sausages i strongly suggest the pid. You won't be able to keep the smoker tight enough for your sausages. Sausages is one of the reasons the pid exist for the Bradley smoker. Without it you will get fat leak.