PID for new smoker

Started by Spliner, March 28, 2012, 11:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spliner

Ok.. just curious.. what's the best PID for a new OBS smoker?  Here's what I'm thinking about at the moment:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=72

Will it work just fine with the new model smoker and does anyone have tips on a PID?  Also.. how does this thing work, by switching the power on/off and doesn't that mess with the smoke generator?  I've not received my new smoker, and this will be my first Bradley so maybe I'm missing something, but these units say they are plug n play, meaning they control the power to the entire unit all at once?

Spliner

muebe

The dual probe version of the Auberins is the best IMHO.

The PID controls the power to the cabinet element only to regulate temp. It does this by throttling power on and off to the element and anticipating heat rise and fall on the fly. It adapts in real time to keep temps within a few degrees even if the ambient temps change for example.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Ditto. I have the dual probe also.
Mike

Spliner

Much of this will probably be answered when my unit arrives tomorrow.. so it powers the element but not the smoke generator.  I did not know they were separately powered.  Going to order the dual then.  ;)

Spliner

bostonsmoker

The pid powers both the smoke generator and the cabinet. There is a code that you can set to turn on/off the smoke generator at certain intervals.

KyNola

Spliner, hold up for a second.  You don't even have a Bradley Smoker yet and you want to know what PID you need?  Unless you are going to make sausage or something else where tight temp controls are essential, you may not need a PID.  Get to know your Bradley and how it works and cooks before you buy a PID.  Butts, ribs, chickens, briskets, pork loins, Canadian Bacon, Pork Belly Bacon...none of those need a tight temp control.  Had my Bradley since 2007 without a PID and it has worked just fine.  I have a brand new Auber dual probe PID still in the box because I haven't jumped to sausage yet.

wolverines

Hey KyNola....If you don't use your PID, how do you check your IT's?  Just wondering. I am thinking of getting the new Bradley Original and will probably only smoke what you listed above. If I don't need a PID, any suggestions as to an IT checker for my meat? Still haven't decided on the BOS or the DBS.

Thanks,

Wolves

mikecorn.1

Quote from: wolverines on March 29, 2012, 04:07:41 AM
Hey KyNola....If you don't use your PID, how do you check your IT's?  Just wondering. I am thinking of getting the new Bradley Original and will probably only smoke what you listed above. If I don't need a PID, any suggestions as to an IT checker for my meat? Still haven't decided on the BOS or the DBS.

Thanks,

Wolves
Sorry to jump in on this ;D.  I would recommend the
Maverick ET732 wireless thermometer. You can get it at
Yardandpool. There are other ones also sold there. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

KyNola

What mikecorn.1 said.  The Maverick ET-732 is a dual probe wireless thermometer.  One probe monitors the cooking temp and the other probe monitors the IT of the meat.  It transmits the info wirelessly to a remote receiver so you don't have to open the door to periodically check the temps.

Spliner

Quote from: KyNola on March 28, 2012, 07:30:30 PM
Spliner, hold up for a second.  You don't even have a Bradley Smoker yet and you want to know what PID you need?  Unless you are going to make sausage or something else where tight temp controls are essential, you may not need a PID.  Get to know your Bradley and how it works and cooks before you buy a PID.  Butts, ribs, chickens, briskets, pork loins, Canadian Bacon, Pork Belly Bacon...none of those need a tight temp control.  Had my Bradley since 2007 without a PID and it has worked just fine.  I have a brand new Auber dual proble PID still in the box because I haven't jumped to sausage yet.

I made that decision too.  Going to give it a go without at first.  I will be picking up a thermometer though.  ;)  But a PID is on my want list lol.

Spliner

viper125

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

KyNola

Quote from: Spliner on March 29, 2012, 06:01:36 PM
Quote from: KyNola on March 28, 2012, 07:30:30 PM
Spliner, hold up for a second.  You don't even have a Bradley Smoker yet and you want to know what PID you need?  Unless you are going to make sausage or something else where tight temp controls are essential, you may not need a PID.  Get to know your Bradley and how it works and cooks before you buy a PID.  Butts, ribs, chickens, briskets, pork loins, Canadian Bacon, Pork Belly Bacon...none of those need a tight temp control.  Had my Bradley since 2007 without a PID and it has worked just fine.  I have a brand new Auber dual proble PID still in the box because I haven't jumped to sausage yet.
I made that decision too.  Going to give it a go without at first.  I will be picking up a thermometer though.  ;)  But a PID is on my want list lol.
Spliner
Good call Spliner.  Learn what the Bradley is capable of first.  You will see big temp swings.  As troublesome as it looks, don't sweat it.  The meats I listed earlier really don't care.  The temp swings will lessen as the meat comes up to temp.  We are all guilty of making this a lot harder than it really is :)

Meat, smoke, heat....done!

Spliner

Anyone tried the iGrill thermometer?  Accurate?  POS?  ;)

Spliner

viper125

Ive got quite a few here but like the Maverick 732 the best. If you seal the probes you have no problems. Also I dont have to stay at the smoker to watch it. It will give me both meat and smoker temps any where on my property or in the house. I have 3 1/2 acres and busy with gardens and mowing and such. If I see temps to low or to high I check right away. Haven't found any thing else even close for any money.
So for me it's as much a safety device as a thermometer. You can do with out a PID but I can't. I like the fact I can tell it what I want and don't have to go out and fiddle with it to change and get it at a certain temp. Plus with as many as 6 changes in temps during a smoke it gets to be a real pain. I have tried with out and have had over 20 degree swings. And the thermometer on the door is off over 50 degrees.
I love my OBS now but with out my PID and Maverick it just isn't good enough for me. I would have thought at least the thermometer would be some what accurate. With out them Id probably just but a regular cheap propane. I held temps with them closer then with out a pid.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.