First smoked cheese

Started by 300saum, April 02, 2012, 11:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

300saum

Here is my first attempt at smoked cheese.  I got the smoker together enough last night that I could run some smoke in it and see if I had a leaks, so I thought I would do some cheese.  Kill two birds with one stone.  The temp got a little high at one point, so I killed the heat and let it sit in the smoker.  It was in for about 4 ½ hours total.  The smokers held the smoke great.  I cooled the cheese down with the door open for 2 hours.  Once it was cooled they went into the vac bags and in the fridge for at least 3 weeks before I test.  The best part is I head to work for 3 weeks and I will not have the temptation to try it before it is ready.  Man does it smell good.

Also I would like to thank everyone on this site for all the info that you offer up. 

Cheese cut and ready to go into the smoker with apple.

Loaded and about to get 3 hours of smoke.

All bagged up and into the fridge.

ghost9mm

Nice work on the cheese and you will enjoy the fruits of your labor, we let ours sit for a month and found trhat it came out just right...your choice...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

mikecorn.1

Nice. Those took on a nice color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Sam3

fong0041

Looks great, what kind?

I've done pepper Jack, Swiss, Cheddar, Munster, and one or two others that I can't remember.  All turned out GREAT.  The first time I did it was a test run at cold smoking at it worked great, about 1 to 2 hours in the Bradley.  Months later I decided that they would make a great Christmas present, so I bought 5 lbs of various blocks at the store when they were on sale, cut them up and started them 2 days before Christmas.  I couldn't remember how long I'd smoked them before, so I left them on about 2-3 hours.  Well, my vent must have been closed too far, when I checked on them most of the blocks had melted through my racks and looked like stalactites!  I wish I'd taken a picture, but I was horrified and had no gifts for my family!  So, I rushed to the store the morning of Christmas Eve to buy more.  You can imagine the crowds I had to deal with!  This time I kept it to 1.5 hours and everyone loved them!  So, thats my story, thought I'd share.  I kept the melted ones, just bagged them and put them in the freezer.  They are like smoked cheese curds now, still tasty, the only stuff that went to waste is what ended up on the drip tray. 

300saum

It's Tillamook chedder.  Thanks guys.

300saum

Headed to the house today.  Can't wait to tey the cheese!!!   :) 

sage03

Tillimook Chedder.......yummmmmm...hope it turns out good...let us know :)