Dry Aging and then Smoking

Started by HookedOnMyBradley, April 05, 2012, 02:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HookedOnMyBradley

I am wondering if anyone has tried to dry age and then smoke something; I had a Prime Rib in mind.  I am assuming since the smoking process consumes so much moisture that attempting to combine dry aging and smoking would turn an expensive piece of meat into jerky but wondered what others think and/or have experienced.  Thanks in advance.

Greg

Habanero Smoker

I have smoke dry aged beef several times and it comes out great, but generally cut the prime rib into the steaks, and I use top loin more often then prime rib. The meat melts in your mouth (I'm not talking about being mushy).

For steaks I don't smoke/cook them the full time. Just take them from the refrigerator, and cold smoke for 40 minutes to an hour; I use oak. Remove from smoker, individually tightly wrap each steak, refrigerate overnight and then grill them.

If you want to fully smoke/cook a prime rib in the Bradley, several members have done so. Search the board for the technique that Ka Honu uses. I haven't tried that method, but others have has success with it.

This is a technique I use for top loin and other lean roasts:
Smoked Top Loin with Garlic-Herb Crust

You can use the seasoning you like, you don't have to use the crust and you don't have to trim as much as I did in the recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

You're welcome. I hope you found some prime rib recipes that have been posted.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)