StartUp Questions W/611 - Newbie help please

Started by rosecustom, April 03, 2012, 06:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosecustom

I'm attempting to season the 611 and am a little confused with the proceedure/611... specifically the bisquette advance button.  I set the PID @ 150.  It heated up fine.  I'm not too sure about the bisquette advance.  It loaded them OK but I have no smoke.  The stack of three pucks advanced but the stack didn't go down as smoothly as expected.  Also.  I only hit the advance button once - right?  After that do I have to advance the pucks every 20 minutes manually or will it advance automatically until it goes through the bubba pucks?

beefmann

it takes 20 to 30 minutes for the puck burner to heat up hot enough to burn the pucks,  On the tongue of the  smoke generator it also takes 2 pucks to get the third  onto the  burner. It also takes 20  minutes to burn a buck and the advance mechanism is timed at  20 minutes so give it  some time.

So to  Season the tower  you  would need to place 5 pucks onto the  smoke generator and press the advance button once. then allow the unit to work,

Welcome aboard and enjoy

rosecustom

Thanks Beefman.  I have 3 wood and 2 bubba pucks loaded.  Me thinks I'm a little anxious.  Since my lastpost of a few minutes ago,  I, with the button, advanced the pucks onto the burner portion.  We'll see what happens now.  So then after the 1/2 hr or so warmup, I manually advance the pucks to the burnerand the they automatically advance every 20 minutes?

TedEbear

You don't have to manually advance the pucks at all.  When you turn the smoker on it starts the 20 minute timer.  Every 20 minutes the puck advance will cycle and move a puck one position closer to the burner.  You can advance the pucks manually to the burner but if it hasn't had time to get hot (20-30 minutes) the puck won't burn.

With mine I like to turn the smoke generator on, manually advance the pucks to just before going onto the burner and then let the timer take over.

rosecustom

Quote from: TedEbear on April 03, 2012, 07:46:09 AM
You don't have to manually advance the pucks at all.  When you turn the smoker on it starts the 20 minute timer.  Every 20 minutes the puck advance will cycle and move a puck one position closer to the burner.  You can advance the pucks manually to the burner but if it hasn't had time to get hot (20-30 minutes) the puck won't burn.

With mine I like to turn the smoke generator on, manually advance the pucks to just before going onto the burner and then let the timer take over.
I get it now.  Thanks.  One more question and I should be on my way.  If I just turn it on and the pucks advance themselves,   by the time they arrive at the heat plate it should be hot enough to make smoke?

Smokin Sparky

If it takes at least 20 min. for the first bisquette to reach the burner then it should work out fine.

Blake
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

rosecustom

I had a loose nut behind the control - ME   What I did wrong was plugged it in from the outlet to PID to SG then the smoker cabinet.   As I watched the SG light cycle on and off I realized the 20 min advance was probably starting over.  One of the above "replies" tipped me off to that.  So now I went from outlet => To SG => PID => smoker cabin.  I'm anxiously waiting for my first puck to automatically advance.  WooHoo!!!

beefmann

it is exciting and nail biting till you  get use to the operation and the group has set you  straight, and ask questions  were here to help

rosecustom

Thanks for all the help.  I have never been a "low & slow" type of guy. lol   So the break in period is over and everything went as planned. Tkx again.
Jeff...

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

rosecustom

Thanks John.  I did think of another question though.   The way I have it set up the PID will turn off only the main smoke cabinet.  The SG remains on until its manually shut off.  I guess thats the way it is. Right? Or am I missing something here.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: rosecustom on April 03, 2012, 12:30:04 PM
Thanks John.  I did think of another question though.   The way I have it set up the PID will turn off only the main smoke cabinet.  The SG remains on until its manually shut off.  I guess thats the way it is. Right? Or am I missing something here.
Correct. Unless you set the PID up to control the SG. I believe it's an r setting. I don't mess with it. I let the SG go and do it's thing and it shuts down by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike